deck material

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

kipp

deck material

Post by kipp »

Looking for a supplier of Nydacore(SP?) or Coosa board in the Houston area.Any other suggestions for something to replace plywood deck?
Thanks for the continuing help.
Kipp
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Kipp,

Composites One, Inc. off of the outer belt on the north west side of Houston carries both. You'll have to set up an account with them, but that's fairly easy, especially if it a cash account. Can be done in office on the same day as your first order...

3300 Claymoore Park Dr
Houston, TX 77043
(713) 462-9009

Br,

Patrick
kipp

Post by kipp »

Capt Pat,
John used Nydacore,so I know Salvadore's OK with it. What is you preference? Is 3/4" the way to go? Any idea how much I,ll need for a full deck?
Thanks,
Kipp
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Kipp,

Short answer:

Go with 3/4"

Long answer:

The strength & rigidity of a sandwich style panel is highly dependant on thickness. By increasing the thickness, there is a higher ratio between the compression and tension surfaces. The compression surface is the loaded, (top surface of a deck). While 3/4" is only 1/3 thicker than 1/2", the rigidity of 3/4" is more than twice that of 1/2". The weight difference is relatively small and the added 1/4" of lost freeboard is insignificant.

With your deck configuration as an open fishrman center console, you'll need 6 4'x8' panels.

Br,

Patrick
kipp

Post by kipp »

Thanks Capt. Pat. Should I go withNydacore or coosa board?
Kipp
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Kipp,

Two totally different animals. The Nida-Core is a honey comb material sandwiched between 2 sheets of fiberglass, (or plywood for interior bulkheads), where as the Coosa Board is a low density solid thickness of the same material with a small amount of stranded fiberglass to act as a tie. The fiberglass in the Coosa Board doesn't add any strength to the material.

Either way, you'll want to lay on an 1/8" or so of fiberglass to both sides. I'd most probably go with the Nida-Core, even thoudg it'd be more expensive.

Br,
Patrick