Tarp Size for Cover 31

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

mikepelham

Tarp Size for Cover 31

Post by mikepelham »

I am looking to cover the boat for the winter and wanted to get some advice on tarps. Ultimately, I would like Fisher Canvas to make one but cash is low at this point. So with that being said a standard 31 with no hard top, no swim platform and no bow rail could be covered by 25 * 33?
I would measure the boat but it is on the water and a few hours away so I though I would rely on the more experienced. Thanks in advance for your input.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If you're a FBC ot Sportsfisherman I would guess you'd need more than 33 on the length. You want ventilation, but if a severe wind gets under it from bow or stern, it's going to really stress it out. If you have it rigged like Randall has on his 25, between two trees with a straight line between them and the tarp over it like a tent, open at both ends, snow just slides off it Otherwise, the bridge will consume more than two feet if you're going to wrap it. My opinion-Walter
John F.

Post by John F. »

I have a FBC with a radar arch and I get a 30 x 50 every year. I'd guess you could get a 25 x 40 for your boat. Mine will wrap over the bow pulpit, and extend to just about the waterline port, starboard, and stern. They work fine for me, and cost me about $60 year including the tie rope. I cut it all off and throw it away every spring.

John F.
Harv

Post by Harv »

I stick with shrink wrapping the boat every winter. Little or no chance of the cover blowing or ripping off the boat. Cost is roughly $10-$12/foot here on Long Island. You can even cut a zippered door into the wrap in case you need to get on the boat to do some work.
Harv
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Price wise canvas is the only way to go. I would guess for a 31 with no tower or hardtop, in NJ would be close $900 maybe even $1000. I have had my canvas 8 years now. More than paid for itself. Cash is short, you can shrink wrap it. Its better than a blue tarp.

If you do buy a blue tarp, don't go for the Harbor Freight ones. They leak after a month or two.
JGomber

Post by JGomber »

For what it is worth...
I've use the heavy duty silver tarps for a couple of seasons. I've built a 2x2 support frame for the cockpit and fore deck to "tent" the tarp for water drainage/snow slide.
Get abunch of the add-on rope attachment loops and put them wherever you think you'll need them.
And, think about ventilation, which includes NOT tieing everything real tight all around the hull.
Oh, yeah, don't tie anything to the boat stands if that is how your boat is supported.
Jerry, Triton II
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Shrink rap will last several years especially if not used year round. I talked with my yard guys and suggested that I might shrink rap to the water line with a zipper door for working access and in the spring cut the sides up to the rub rail and slip the whole thing off and store until the next winter. Where am I going wrong in my thinking?
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

First and foremost, don't tape to the hull if it's a painted hull. If it's a rope around the hull, pad where the ropes come anywhere near your hull or you'll find a scuff mark in the spring. Carefully done, it can be taped to the underside of your rub rail with no damage anywhere. I suspect you'll have a hard time taking off the shrink wrapping in one piece for the same reason Bertram had to make our hull's in two pieces. Walter
randall

Post by randall »

in my opinion this is by far the best way to do it for a bunch of reasons.

too steep to hold snow...where applicable
easy to erect
great ventilation
very easy access
you can zip tie the grommet holes together to completely close it up for harsh weather.

this rig has withstood gale force winds a number of times

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Walt,
Thanks. If I do it this way it will come down the hull to the waterline and be tied underneath. Padding is a must as I found out on my new curved windows. A loose piece of shrink wrap flapping against the plastic left very fine scratches on one side which I have not attacked as yet since I need some lessons in buffing plastic.
Randall,
Don't think the yard will allow me to erect another home-made building since the last one ended up looking like a shanty even in a boat yard. Love yours, but hope I don't have to worry about snow load in Virginia. Could happen, but hasn't since the Democrats invented global warming.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
hubris 1

i had a fisher cover,

Post by hubris 1 »

i couldnt wait to throw it out. its heavy..........i dont mean a little, i mean you can barely pick it up. it wears on the boat with the wind and did i mention.....it weighs a ton. unless you keep a boat in alaska, i cant imagine a reason to have one. i have had my boat 13 years. a fisher cover would not make the boat look any better. now i admit, a car in a garage doesnt look its age but, if you need to do it that bad......shrink it. youll pay the same to install that cover. and i guarantee you. after one year.......you will NEVER put it on again. you need a fork lift just to lift it on the top. trust me, been there, done that. save your money. one other thing, if you have an inground pool, buy a solid cover for that.
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Randall:

Its that an MG in your garage?............
randall

Post by randall »

thats actually my shop. i do have a bunch of other stuff crammed in there in cluding this.......1956 austin healey 100-4

jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

I Love that car, and I hate you for having it!
randall

Post by randall »

i have a bertram too....thanks

take a look at this one....my kind of hot rod

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Tru ... t_1017wt_0
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Sweet... I would describe that as voluptuous
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Damn, Randall! You had to run those pictures again, huh?
I WANT ANOTHER ONE!
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

that's a sweet ride.....
randall

Post by randall »

hey....he twisted my arm.

thanks Hueso
davidms

Post by davidms »

Randall,

How big is the canvas you use to cover your 25? Is the supporting lumber 2x4 or 2x6?

And the other guys are right, totally cool car!

David S
randall

Post by randall »

hey david.....feel free to come over and take a look......the tarp ($100 on line) is 30x30.....the lumber is 2x6 bolted in the corners and held up by three ropes at each end. they sit in 2 concrete blocks. before putting it up i ran a few strips of gorrilla tape down what became the ridge. there is a post in the middle on the bridge.