New to me 1968 Moppie 20

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

New to me 1968 Moppie 20

Post by John F. »

I bought this yesterday. She's still up in Mattituck, NY, and I'll probably be towing her to MD in early November. I know she's different, but I really like outboards in small boats. Gulf Fiberglass on LI did the transom rework about 10 years ago. Thanks to John D. and Ian for their insite on B20s.

jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

That is a cool boat. Enjoy it!
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Congratulations!
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Congratulations John
A friend of mine had a 20 Bertram in the late 80's. As I remember it the original engine was a V8 Buick engine with an outdrive.

He removed the original engine and powered it with an OMC 150 HP SeaDrive. She ran great and did not burn nearly as much fuel as the original setup.

Great boat........hope you have many many hours of good times in her.

Harry
hb
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Nice Boat John. Enjoy.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

what speed were you able to attain with the 200hp yamaha? last month if you recall i was trying to hash out a inboard or outboard for the exact same boat and i was reminded the transon would be down in the water very close to the scuppers with a 300hp susuki.i think the 200hp yamaha with the oil tank and two batteries at the trasom should weight just about the same.a 2' buouyent style extension bracket (actually a 3' wide hollow extension to the hull) with the 300hp four stroke may keep the same trim angle at rest what do you think?how did the 20'bertram perform in turning and time to plane.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

cool...call me when you come up to get her...almost around the corner.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

John, Should be a real fun boat. Congrats & enjoy...

Randy, Surf's up on Sunday, Dude... H. Kyle...
Mack

Post by Mack »

3 boats!!! That's it...I am moving to the other shore!!!!
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
randall

Post by randall »

sunday?.....its been up for a week already. too bad the wind is howling out of the east....theres no place to hide. i was hoping for a little north side surfing today but neither the wind or the swell cooperated........

did get the splash boards back in the boat. the cockpit looks so good im not lettin anyone walk in there without white socks.

montauk bouys 12 foot at the moment and climbing
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Congrats John!!

Just in time for the fall/winter Rockfish bite, or better yet drag her down to NC and chase those winter Blue Fin....

-JohnD
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks. She cruised at about 4000/28 knts, 5100 WOT/38 knts. The bottom was really dirty with lots of growth. I should get better out of her. The gas tank was replaced with a 38 gallon aluminum tank set a few feet further to the stern than original. With the motor, batteries, oil tank, and fuel tank aft she looks to me like she still sits pretty well on her lines.

I'm hoping to get her back here in the next month or so--she's at my parent's house in Mattituck until I get the trailer registered and can tow her home. When I get her back, I'll try to get better numbers.
John F.

Post by John F. »

I really wanted to take her out, so I drove up to LI Friday night--got there at 10:30 and left at 6:30 Saturday am. Boat trailed to MD just fine. Launched her off Kent Island Sunday with my Dad, ran over to Annapolis, and ran back to Kent Island. Boat ran great, and rode really well. Ran into a school of small blues and caught a bunch. We had blackened blues for dinner. Great day and a great way to break her in. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

John
randall

Post by randall »

nice....better than nice....perfect!!
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

John,
Do you know what the hull number is, looks like my old 20, that I sold back in 1994. Mine was hull 1120 built in 1968 she had a straight six Mercruiser I/O 165 and a Certified tamdem axel trailer with over sized axels. I used to trailer it back and forth from Mass to Fl. had it for 10 years before I sold her. Nice looking boat, enjoy her.
neil

Post by neil »

john do you ever make your way to tilghman island? we will be there for tilghman day . you would look good in that thing pulling up next to the working boats let me know neil
John F.

Post by John F. »

Randall- Thanks. One of these trips to LI I'm hoping I can get some time and we can get together for a cold one.

Pete- Hull # is 201937, so I think that makes it 937.

Neil- Tilghman Island? Cool. I think that's the weekend of the Annapolis show. I'll probably go to the show Friday, and maybe I'll get to Tilghman. Been there plenty of times--Knapps Narrows and Lowe's were my non-ethanol fuel supply until this spring. Hopefully I can get down there and take you for a ride on the 20.

John
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Great way to initiate your new ride. I didn't think you'd wait until November to pick her up.

I think you need a bigger pier for your fleet ;)

I'll give you a call later today about the Boat show.

br,
John
neil

Post by neil »

John we are staying at the knapps narrows we will be there fri thru mon jr is bringing his whaler this year. let me know if you can make it,we still have some leftover rum from montauk.hope to see ya
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Gee Neil- I never got any...Walter
neil

Post by neil »

sorry walter i will give you double next year,any ideas for next year?
John F.

Post by John F. »

Neil-

Completely forgot about Tilghman. John D. came by--we were supposed to go to the Annapolis show, but a ride on the B20 and a few cold ones later and we never made it.

Bob-

The B20 with a 200 Yamaha does about 22 knts. at 3200, 30 knots at 4100, and 40 knots at 5200 (WOT). Boat runs great for a 20--I took her this am for a quick trip. No fish on top or jigging--everybody was trolling. Time to break out the broomsticks.

John
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

John,

Is she still running well?

Although I don't have a 20 anymore, I have been thinking about the outboard conversion. I really like the idea of no engine box... I think an ETEC 200 would be a pretty mice engine for the hull.

Any way you might be able to send me a few detailed pictures of the transom work? What shaft length are you running? Can you trim up fully without folding the splashwell forward?

Thanks!

Ian.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Ian-

Here are some pics. The motor can tilt up with the splash-well door up. I keep it up pretty much all the time. I have no idea on shaft length. The lower-unit just barely sits in the water at rest. She floats pretty well on her lines, even though she has two batteries, an oil tank, and a 30 gallon aluminum fuel tank alll well aft--in addition to the OB of course. She still runs great--all I've done is add a VHF, CD player and speakers, teh Bertram stainless name (they were in a cabinet in my B31 when I bought her--the "Anna E." in the background), and gas and oil. I moved the oil tank further back so I could have some bilge access. When I tear her apart to redeck, stringer, etc., and convert, I'll rearrange things. She's a great little boat, and the 200 pushes her well. I think the conversion was done about 10 years ago. There's no wood in the transom, and there are no cracks or anything else. Structurally, the transom conversion looks like it was really well done, which why I bought her. Thanks again for your advice, and if you ( or any body else here) are in the Annapolis/Kent Island area, you can take her for a spin.

John

Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Just FYI...
I've got a similar engine on my 22 Cobia walkaround. It's an OX66, fuel injected, saltwater series 200hp yamaha. For my first big outboard I have to say it's been a great engine. However....always a however....after about a year and a half, the hot engine alarm went off while warming it up at the boat ramp. I spent about $80 and an afternoon putting a water pump "rebuild" kit in it. I'd suggest you consider doing it if you aren't sure when it was last done. I've had a few folks tell me to just do it once a year as insurance against a bad day boating since it's a fairly easy DIY project.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

John
I love the second pic in the last series you posted here....2 Berts are nice but the quiet secluded backwater cove is top notch......love it! ! ! !

Harry
hb
John F.

Post by John F. »

Kurt-

Thanks. Water pump was done winter of 2007, so I think I'm OK for at least the rest of this year. I do water pumps every other season.

Harry-

Thanks. Nice spot to be, and a great hurricane hole.

John F.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

John
In what part of the country do you live?

H
hb
John F.

Post by John F. »

Harry-

Kent Island, Maryland. On the Chesapeake across the Bay from Annapolis. The creek I'm on goes into the Bay--about 1 mile, 12 minutes.

John
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

John
It reminds me of places on Fish River here in South Alabama.....Fish river is where DeNada once lived.

H
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

Kent Island, that where we picked up my friends boat. Long ride back here to Staten Island though.