wolverine heater woes

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

merlin

wolverine heater woes

Post by merlin »

Has anyone had problems with Wolverine block heaters ?

I put them on my 6bta's (250W unit from Tony Athens) about 18 mos ago. 2mos ago I noticed the stbd side was on intermittently (they should always be on). Last weekend I had the electrical cable on the port side melting at
the plug with a small flame. Not good.

Fortunately I was there and watched it happen. Clearly I have a faulty fuse issue that I need to fix but I am wondering if others have comments.

thanks, Merlin
capy

Re: wolverine heater woes

Post by capy »

merlin wrote:Has anyone had problems with Wolverine block heaters ?

I put them on my 6bta's (250W unit from Tony Athens) about 18 mos ago. 2mos ago I noticed the stbd side was on intermittently (they should always be on). Last weekend I had the electrical cable on the port side melting at
the plug with a small flame. Not good.

Fortunately I was there and watched it happen. Clearly I have a faulty fuse issue that I need to fix but I am wondering if others have comments.

thanks, Merlin
I don't have wolverines but I do have 110VAC immersion heaters in mine.

I had a similar problem when I first bought the boat in 1993, seems the first owner kept it in year round and in yankee land it gets pretty cold....they were 750w apiece

I changed them out for the 300w model and the problem was solved....but I don't know if that would be enough power in the dead of winter if she was still in the water.....as I haul every year.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Merlin,

I have the same heaters from Tony on my 6bta's, might want to check your wire gauge size that you have them plugged into. No problem's on mine, plugged in and on all the time at the dock.

R,
DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!