Honda 2000 Gen. install

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

kipp

Honda 2000 Gen. install

Post by kipp »

Based on the favorable comments from ya'll I got a 2000 for Gustav(sort of). I already had a below deck compartment built for it,but didn't need it until the 5000 cheapo I got for Katrina would't start. The old lady watched me crank on it for hours,and then agreed we needed a new one. I told I knew just what we needed. Told this story to the guys at the shop where I bought it,and they accused me of not turning the starter switch on. Worked so well, went and got another one. Guess where it"s going.
Need some advice on installation. Want to set it up to run in the compartment below deck. It is twice the size of the gen. but enclosed on three sides.Should I put some vents on the other sides? I plan on running a line to vent the exhaust,with some type of disconnect. Have any of you faithfull done this type install? Any advice on do's and dont's. It will only be used to run a 10000btu Coolmate AC. Should push tha OK? Any ideas on how long it will run that AC before refill?
Thanks,
Kipp
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

If your talking about the air cooled suitcase Honda EU 200I, don't even think about below deck install.

Not only is it a fire hazard, (tank vent has to be open to run leaving gas fumes in a confined space of a none spark arrested engine beside the hot exhaust pipe temp) but a hugh carbon monoxide threat as well.

As far as the 10k btu unit, it should run that okay. Refill time around 4 to 5 hours with that load.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Below deck is almost certain CO death if you turn the AC on and go to sleep.......that may sound kinda like a drama queen statment but please follow Bruce's advise DON'T DO IT!!!

Back in the 90's a guy spent a cool night on his sailboat while tied to the dock in a local marina. During the night he decided to start the engine....we think to generate heat....but we don't know.....but what we do know is that the next morning his wife called the marina looking for her husband.......well they found him.......in the boat DEAD.....CO killed him......DEAD

If you still want to use the Honda...I believe that I have heard guys in our sandbox here tell that they use the Honda generators strapped to the bridge or bow where they can get plenty of ventilation.

Harry
hb
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

I use to use one on the deck, but never below or in the engine comparment.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
captbone

Post by captbone »

I have had the same idea. I like things to be very simple and easily removable. It can be done but there are alot of problems that you must over come.

Just think about how they store propane on board boats below decks. I would want to buy or build a propane locker. Something that is completely sealed off to the inside of the boat, vents out side. This way no CO2 issue. I would also not use the small fuel tank with it but plumb it outside of the locker. I would also use flex exhaust pipe with flangs for easy hook up.

I agree with the others that it is can be dangerous and just leaving it on deck is the most simple but it can be done right.

Just my 2 cents.
kipp

Post by kipp »

Thanks for the advice and warnings.
Not that our 31's are wet,but how do you protect the Hondas from the elements when they are out in the open on the deck or bridge etc. Can they be partially enclosed?
Haven't had much experience with marine generators,but looks like that might be the way I need to go. Worried about weight,and small compartment to put it in. Needs to be gas. Will only be used for 10000 btu ac. Any suggestions?
Kipp
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Kipp,

Look at a Next Gen. with a enclosure box.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Kipp,

You'd need to build a box along the lines of this diagram... The exhaust blower is necessary to remove heat.

Br,

Patrick
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The only way I would install that generator in an enclosed box is to remotely mount the fuel tank.

As I stated before the tank is part of the gen set and the top cap vent has to be open for running.
Even in an enclosed box with vents the chance of a boom is pretty good.

Besides the vents need to corespond with the vents in the genset for proper cooling on an air cooled gen set.

Mase makes an 3600 rpm air cooled diesel gen line. But there is a water cooled air box that cools the surrounding air to keep from over heating. Without it the genset would cook.

If you gonna try using a blower after relocating the fuel tank, make sure you follow the flow the generator uses and inject the air into the same port the gen pulls air into.