milky gear oil

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Sounds like the gear oil cooler to me. I would disconnect raw water hoses and the oil lines and bring to radiator shop or such. You can pressure test it yourself once the lines are disconnected if you have the tools. That is just my first guess though. If that is the case it may be time to check the other engine/gear oil cooler as well. Not sure about proper flush procedure for the gear itself once you fix the problem. I am sure others will chime in.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If it's milky, you've got water in it. Kevin is right, it's probably the oil cooler. Buy a new one, have the other done to keep as a spare. Removal is easy. Purchase end caps for the disconnected oil lines...makes the job a lot neater. Drain/pump out the old oil. Refill with your Tranny's specs. Perhaps you might throw in a quart first and remove it just to get as much of the milkiness out. Reassemble and start. I'll bet that if you start your engine before you do all this, you'll see a sheen in your exhaust...because that's where your tranny oil is going, and that's where your oil is coming in. Walter
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i have at least two cummins gear coolers.just a donation made out to capt pattick but mailed to me and i will foward to capt patrick.

capt bob lico