New Bottom paint

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mhiggins

New Bottom paint

Post by Mhiggins »

Does this look good? I am really upset with the Interlux Ultra. I painted this at the end of April.

This is how it started
http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc15 ... 130208.jpg

This is the surprise
http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc15 ... 060110.jpg
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Darn! Did you prime it?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Mike,

Interlux Ultra, (including w/ Biolux), is a hard bottom paint and has always given me a good service life...

From what I see, (also looked at the other images in your album), it looks like you switched from a black bottom paint to the blue. Since the blue is falling off, but over a white material, (doesn't look like aluminum barrier coat), your problem is likely due to one of three reasons, (or combinition):

1. The white is gelcoat & wasn't properly prepared, including solvent wipe.

2. The white is an epoxy barrier coat & was allowed to cure too long before the bottom paint was applied, A good sanding is required if epoxy cures too long, before painting over.

3. Not enough time was allowed between coats of bottom paint and/or too little time was allowed between the final coat & launching the boat.

--------------------------------------------------------

Hints

Thinner Bare Wood - Special Thinner 216. Spray - Special Thinner 216.

Cleaner Painted Surfaces - Special Thinner 216. Bare Fiberglass - Fiberglass Solvent Wash 202. Bare Wood - Special Thinner 216.

Airless Spray Pressure: 170-204 bar/2500-3000 psi. Tip Size: 0.53 mm/21 thou.

Conventional Spray Pressure Pot: Pressure: 4.08-4.76 bar/60-70 psi (gun pressure); 10-15 psi (pot pressure). Tip Size: 1.8-2.2 mm/70-85 thou.

Other Spraying of antifouling paints is prohibited in Canada. For application of Ultra with Biolux to underwater metals such as stainless steel, cast iron, lead and bronze, see Interprotect bulletin. Color will change on immersion, this will not affect antifouling performance.

Some Important Points Colors may fade or change color at the waterline. Product temperature should be minimum 10 deg C/50 deg F and maximum 29 deg C/85 deg F. Ambient temperature should be minimum 10 deg C/50 deg F and maximum 35 deg C/95deg F. Substrate temperature should be minimum 10 deg C/50 deg F and maximum 35 deg C/95 deg F.

Compatibility/SubstratesApply to clean, dry, properly prepared surfaces only. Ultra with Biolux can be applied to most popular antifouling paints as long as the old coating has been aged, is tightly adhered and is in sound condition. Do not apply over tin-based copolymer antifouling paints. Do not apply Ultra with Biolux over aluminum.

Br,

Patrick