fish box contruction

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

fish box contruction

Post by bob lico »

capt. patrick i am contructing the fish boxes on the port and starboard side of the cockpit.i cut up all the " coosa board" and datto the bottom and sides of the boxes.i intended to pre drill and use square drive stainless 316 screws like i used for the battery boxes i showed you.i would like your opinion on which adhesive to use in the datto joining the side to side and sides to bottom.resin,epoxy, or what i have been using lately; pl premium polyurethane contruction adhesive.i intend to put a skim coat of resin over the coosa board and than awlgrip 545 primer for a finesh inside the box but want to use the strongest possible in the joints.
thanks for the real deal conversation on the overside rudder theory.people ask me all the time why or how does that boat turn like that.i knew it is rudder desigh but don`t know the theory behind it.

capt. bob lico
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bob,

A fishbox takes a lot of abuse... Use epoxy for your joints, prime first with unthickened epoxy, then bed with epoxy & cabosil. Create a 2" radius fillet in the inside corners and epoxy glass in the inside. A couple of layers of 6 oz 0/90º cloth will be fine for covering Cossa board.

See: Epoxy bonding and fillet tips

Round over the outside corners and add at least 2 layers of cloth on all of the corners. Alow at least a 3" width from the corners, (6" strips centered on the corner). Covering the whole outside would be a good idea...

545 primer is a very soft paint and won't hold up very well inside of a fishbox. You might want to finish the inside with several coats of 2 part epoxy paint.

Br,

Patrick