fuel additives

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ric

fuel additives

Post by Ric »

was listening to an interesting conversation about fuel additives and was wondering what the consensus was with the board .,.,seems with the low sulfur diesel it was said that you cant use a cetane boost in the diesel because of the lubricity of the fuel and the low sulfur content.,.,.and that because of that low sulfur we should be adding additives every tank fill up, I was wondering what additives everybody else was using ?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Ric,
Yes. Everyone should be using an additive in their fuel.
My two favorites are FPPF and Standyne. There are others but those are two who's results I've seen work.

Example, a customer just got a used 48 Offshore Motor Yacht with 450hp Cummins with 1800 hours.

I tuned the engines but he still had a slight smoking and after installing FloScans his fuel burn was a little high.

He was heading north on his yearly back to NJ for the sumer trip and I gave him a case of Standyne.

After two days of running the smoke went away and his fuel burn decreased a couple of gallons an hour for the same rpm and he gained a 1/2 knot in speed.

Even if engines are running at their peak, reduced wear in the fuel system is a primary result and everyone who has a set of Floscans has reported back to me some type of fuel savings. And at todays fuel prices, it would pay for the additive.
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Hi Bruce,
What about gassers?
Thanks,
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

I started out using the Stanadyne Marine Formula years ago until they quit making it. Switched to the Stanadyne Perf Formula until about a year and a half ago, I started using the Fuel-Tek additive. http://www.fuel-tek.com/ I talked to the guy that developed it and he claims it enhances the lubricity, promotes complete fuel burn, cleans the fuel system, stabilizes, etc. What made me try it was its concentration. One ounce treats 40 gallons of fuel as opposed to the 16 oz. to 60 gals with the Stanadyne. I bought a half gallon for around $50.00 that will treat 2500 gallons. I guess without tearing into the fuel system, it's impossible to know how it is performing, but it did stop the soot from forming on my swim platform when I had the old Yanmar 170's.

Eddy G.