Heavy Duty CX is back

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Heavy Duty CX is back

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Got a call from the CX sales mgr. today that the HD CX is back after a reformulation to correct clogging in the aerosol cans. It's about half way in thickness between the red CX and the Max Wax. Good for moving parts like gear shift parts, steering knuckles - a place where penetration and long lasting lube is needed.

UV
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Vic I got the Max Wax, thanks for such a fast turnaround.

My check will be slower than your shipment, as I spent the better part of this week moving boats for the hurricane that never was. Will send it out tomorrow.

My rudder bearings will be thanking you too. Do you think the stuff would be appropriate for steering linkage, zerk fittings (on them, not in them of course) and shaft couplings? How about on engine oil pans- those are a weak link on the 3208. Been hosing those with CX regularly, but maybe something thicker would be in order?
In Memory of Vicroy

The Max Wax will work fine on linkages and couplings. The HD CX is better on moving parts since it has good penetrating and lubrication properties. I'll call the factory today and find out what the heat tolerance of the Max Wax and HD are. I'm guessing the oil pan probably runs at about 250 degrees? It would be important to get the pan very clean before applying the Max Wax vs. won't matter with the HD. I'll let you know what they say.

UV
In Memory of Vicroy

HD CX will withstand 425 F and Max Wax 350 F, so either would work on an oil pan. I'd try the HD if there is any existing rust on the pan as it will penetrate and has the anti corrosive additives vs. the Max Wax that is primarily a coating. I have the Max Wax in stock and am getting ready to order some HD, so let me know.

UV
Tony Meola

Heavy Duty CX

Post by Tony Meola »

Vic,

Can the Max Wax be used to spray the engines down for winter storage? I know its early but unfortunately up here in the NE the summer is quickly drawing to a close and before we know it the snow will be flying. The stores are already selling Halloween decorations and I am sure Christmas decorations are not far behind. Tony Meola
In Memory of Vicroy

Tony, I would not use the Max Wax for that. It forms a heavy, waxy coating and will be a bitch to get off later. Its best use is on iron stuff and things you just want to mothball for a very long time lime rudder flange bearings, strut backing plates, or rudder tie bars. The regular CX (red can) is what you want to use to spray down the engines if they are going to be set up for months. It will creep into every nook & cranny and totally protect all the systems. Shoot everything, electrical & mechanical, just be aware that some folks have reported it will creep under LCD screens, but I've never had that problem. The original CX remains the best all around corrosion preventative and penetrant, and the newer variations such as the HD and Max Wax have their place, but the original is the silver bullet.

Value wise, the 16 oz aerosol is the handiest, the 16 oz pump bottle has more product, but the cheapest way to get the original (red) is to buy a gallon jug and use your own pump bottle. I wholesale it for $72 a gallon - MSRP is $95 - and the typical shipping is less than 10 bucks, plus you can throw in a few aerosol cans of the other CX products in the gallon box and not up the shipping much, if at all. I was in Worst Marine the other day and they wanted $21.99 for a 16 oz red aerosol can. I will sell it to the Faithful for $10.69. Robbers they are.....

UV
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Hadn't thought of the strut backer plates as an application for the Max Wax, but will try it there too.

That gallon price for CX is good, I paid $100 for the one I got a year ago
Tony Meola

Corrosion X

Post by Tony Meola »

Vic

I still have about a quarter gallon left, but I thought the Max Wax might work better. When I am ready I will let you know and place my order. Tony Meola