Hard-top express.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mikey

Hard-top express.

Post by Mikey »

Think I may have asked this before but can't remember. Does anyone on this site have or know of another hard-top express? I know very few were made and I haven't seen or heard of one existing. Pretty lines and very useful, but not well made. Unfortunately the very heavy top was not well supported and caused damage to the windshield and so most were removed and replaced with bimini tops. Mine (as is evidenced by the recent pix posted) is still here and since I had to raise it to keep it (taller engine boxes) I added sufficient support. Just curious about the rarity.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Mikey.

I've only seen one other Express with a factory hard top. that boat was at Chapmans School in Stuart (donation boat) back in 2000, haven't seen that boat since. I've seen some ugly attempts of putting hard tops on other express cruisers, tubing too big, too high and too bulky for the lines of the boat. Mine was delivered with Navy soft top in early 1962 (hull 186 12-13-61). I've been looking for a factory hard top for years. Your boat came out beautiful, nice job. Who's engine boxes did you use?
Pete Fallon
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Peter,
Thanks!
The boxes and all the replacement fiberglass is Cabrera. Good quality stuff, very hard to work with.
Wonder what happened to the Stuart boat? You might want to give Chapmans a call. Could be the new owner has the top on the beach. I can give you complete instructions and pix to make it a happening thing.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Carl

Post by Carl »

The hardtop was factory...huh you learn something new everyday. I thought you had it madeup after I realized it was not a soft top. Real nice lines on it.
Carl
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i am a little confused myself on the expess model maybe the captain or tommy drake can shed some light.there is your model and pete and than there is this 31 in a yard in sayville. just imagine a sport fisherman (open back) but no bridge from the factory. the wheel is in the cabin in the traditional place bertram put it when a 31 was to be driven from the bottom station. this to be is the same as a present day express 36 bertram 2008. ok if micky has a hardtop express than what is the boat i described??? maybe a hardtop open??
Buju

Post by Buju »

Bob,

That'd be the "sedan" B31... Pretty rare model.

Go to the main page of this site & scroll down to "specs" to see the six different models of the B31.
http://www.bertram31.com/bert31_fs.htm

In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

And there is one for sale in the current Boats & Harbors, gutted, think its one of the VA patrol boats. Ad says its a 68 model, asking price is $8,500. Hull & top looks complete.

UV
Harv

Post by Harv »

Mikey,

my friend Kevin has a Bahia Mar with factory hardtop.
It seems Bertram used the same top for both models as his hardtop has the same exact lines as yours.
This isn't Kevin's boat but the lines are the same. I have seen some of these in the past that have had fly bridges added to them.
Harv
Buju

Post by Buju »

yeah UV, I beleive that is "wiccomicco". You're right, one of the VA patrol boats. It's been on and off of ebay for a couple months now. Look at this beauty for sale:
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1981- ... r-92838675

Harv, looks like they used that top for every model that had a top...right? FBC and SF just had a bridge mounted on it. Probably came as a semi custom option at the time of purchase... Ya know " I sure love the look of that Bahia Mar model, but I'd love to have a top"... bertram dealer says " no problem, we can take care of that".
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Bertram used that hard top configuration up until the mid 70s - my 1972 B25 hard top had the same lines on the top, the little 'art deco' drop down at the back, very good looking stuff......my top on the B25 was solid as concrete. I put a little tower on it in the early 80s like the one on the 31 in the pic. Dropped a couple of Vulva AQAD 30 duoporp diesels in her in '84, and wore the marlin out at Port Eads for years until AJ fell in my lap in the early 90s. Then air conditioning and naps in the freezing v-berths at noon in the summertime offshore...knocks on the cabin door "HOOKED UP, HOOKED UP"....stumble out in the cockpit, your dark glasses fog up and you start barking orders as line peels off one of the 80Ws.

And at some point I met you guys, and we did it some more, not a bad run, my Frens'.

UV
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

UV,
Just got goose bumps . . . not from the cold cabin (I remember) but the description.
FISH ON!
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
randall

Post by randall »

thats a cool lookin bahia.....always liked that roof style...art deco you say?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

buju thats the one" sedan 31 " ok that is very close to a modern day express.when you look at this model it has many features for a captain to get into the fight without coming down off the the bridge like trolling for tuna and you want to make a lure change and off course nobody can find a damm thing or let out the right amount of line.you can have sombody hold course make changes then get back to the wheel.i have a fbc but i sure can see a sedan as a great fishing boat.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Their is a hard-top Express Cruiser on ebay right now.