SAFETY WARNING !!!!!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

SAFETY WARNING !!!!!

Post by IRGuy »

I am in the process of replacing my batteries and switch panel between the engines. I called my surveyor yesterday to ask what were the standards to follow as far as covering the energized 12 nolt positive and negative terminals and fittings. He said that all components should have some type of removable protective cover.. as I suspected.

Then he proceeded to tell me a story that still gives me the chills! A friend of his was working in the engine room of his boat and was doing his periodic check of the 12 volt switchgear. He had removed the protective cover and was spraying everything with a can of WD-40.

Accidentally, he somehow let the can short out a set of live main 12 volt connectors.. the arc immediately blew through the thin can wall, and ignited the instantaneously released WD-40, causing an explosion that killed the man!

BE CAREFUL!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

CX comes in plastic bottles
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

YIKES!!!!! I think they do, or did, use propane as propellant. That was one reason it started diesels so well!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

There's a clip on You-Tube recently where some dim-wit hits a can of WD-40 with a shovel and it blows up.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E