speaking of fuel lines copper or hose

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ric

speaking of fuel lines copper or hose

Post by Ric »

I have my whole cockpit and engine covers and outboard side panels etc out of the boat.,..,non skid and a gelcoatshoot on them>><>><>>
,,,fixed a cancer issue in my main bulkhead starboard side..It was a nightmare disconnected everything exhaust genset copper fuel lines wiring,take out a stringer etc to do the job ,,,was seriously considering going with hose back to the genset outboard of the starboard engine but it is bulky compared to copper and "sleeves" for the copper tubing
take on a whole new meaning when dealing with hoses and sleaving them thru a bigger hose etc..,.,.,thru stringers and obstacles etc .. I was told nobody "uses" copper anymore my whole boat is copper both engines and returns,.., at first i brushed off the comment as ,.,..,it is easier by far.with hose,.,.,.,., and it is much harder bending copper in "right" than hanging some tie wrap teflon hangers to secure the hose etc,.,.,also it turns green,,,,yes it does ,,I read somewhere "before: that the green oxidation after it turns green on the copper tubing is actually like a protective "cover".anybody ever heard of or read that before?,.,.it would be easier by far to go with hose,,,,,.,,also i was told coast guard prefers copper,,,,.,.,.,.,.,.,still deciding .,.,i suspect next weekend splash .,.,copper or hose either way tuesday.,.,and put the "fresh" cockpit back,,,,,,,,,.,.,Like brand new
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Damn, Ric. You can afford copper and fuel?
Wow!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Ric

Post by Ric »

Hi Mikey wat up .,.,congrats on the completion of your boat,..,.,100 views to my post and nobody has ever heard of green on copper acting as a protective covering.,!!!mmmm I was in a buldog smokeshop in amsterdam holland ,,,awhile back trying out the legitimate wares but i dont recall reading about green on copper at that time.,.,so i cant claim delusion as a source of the claim.,.,.,,. I KNOW I READ IT SOMEWHERE.,.,,..,.,MAYBE i should go back there to re/up on fantasy
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Ric,

It's true that oxides on any metal protect the underlaying metal, at least to a degree... An oxide effectively blocks off further contact with oxygen & thereby stops or drastically reduces further oxidation. Some metals are protected by their oxides better than others. Copper is one of the better protected, aluminum is one of the lesser protected.

Atmospheric oxidation on copper lines in a boat isn't the real danger. The real culprit would be electrolysis eating away on the lines when the boat, especially the engine(s), is not properly bonded. Since there is little or no water in contact with fuel lines, even electrolysis would be a very slow process.

The principle reasons that high pressure hoses are more desirable than copper lines is because hoses are far easier to run from point A to point B, less costly from both a material & installation expense, and there is less chance of damaging a flexible hose than a rigid copper line.

Br,

Patrick
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

ive heard of it to ric, saw it on the history channel
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Ric- I have always heard that, back from my Grandfather. Capt P explained it much clearer than I would so I won't try to improve.

Good luck
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Ric
I was also aware the Oxides form on the surface and reduce further oxidation.

On I-65 there are 2 bridges that were built and the steel work never painted. I understand that the steel is Corten and is designed so that the surface rust prevents further oxidation

BUT

I have another concern about using copper and that is that I believe that copper tends to fatigue from vibration and eventually crack. A local dealer once imported Cheoy Lee sail boats. I installed several 1 and 2 cylinder Volvos in these boats. The small Volvos (much unlike the Cummins and Yanmars) vibrated a lot. If ever there was a fuel problem you could trace it to a small crack just below the flare where it connected to the engine.

A bunch of years ago a friend of mine built an air boat. I helped him install a Corvair motor.............I then ran a 1/8" copper tube from the engine to an oil pressure gage........even coiled the copper to help absorb vibration. Heres where it got interesting..........

We were coming back to the landing one morning after duck hunting. Near the river bank several hundered yards a head of us were 2 black ladies bream fishing...........they must have had 50 fishing poles between the 2 of them.

Well one of the gals started waving her arms at us as we got closer to their boat...........my buddy yelled at me and asked what was up with her.....I responded that I guess she never seen an air boat before.

As we got even closer to her she stood up in her boat frantically waving her arms and then her fishing buddy stood up and did the same.

I couldn't figure what they were doing until I turned around and looked behind us...........

The copper tube had broken and the engine was spraying oil upward......the cooling fan was catching the oil and blowing it down onto the cylinder barrels............looked like a freaking mosquito sprayer with all of the smoke...........

Of course we shut down the show and immediately the oil on the cylinders an head flamed up..........got pretty interesting for the next few minutes.

I do not use copper tube for anything on any boat any more.

One day I'll tell you about sinking that damn air boat one cold winter morning before daylight.

Harry
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Green = good
Pink = bad
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Well, maybe Ric and I are just lucky. Had copper for the last 33 years on the gassers. Never a problem. But will now have rubber hose once the repower is done.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

The Statue of Liberty turned green, I guess its working out for her.
Now pink that would be pretty cool
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mine have been in since '66 with no problems yet. Lets see a rubber line last that long! The run between the tank and the Racors is fairly free of vibration. Corrosion is your only worry there. I use rubber from the Racors to the engine.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31