windows? fiberglass or repair existing

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Spike Hunter

windows? fiberglass or repair existing

Post by Spike Hunter »

I wanted to ask the "experts" their opinions about the forward four windows and replacing them with fiberglass or repairing the existing aluminum windows.

The boat is a 74 31FBC. She is basically in original condition when it comes to gel coat and interior....ect. She has diesel power and runs well. I have a limited budget and I would like to fish and enjoy her while I slowly restore her.

My questions is if I repair the existing aluminum windows and "fix" them back into their orignal locations will they leak again over time? I like the look of the fiberglassed front window area. I understand that I will lose some light and visibilty out the front from the cabin.

Long term (5-10 years) what do you think will be the best call? I would like to do the right things as I slowly restore this classic boat.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Carl

Post by Carl »

A quick inexpensive alternative to redoing the front windows would be to have a Canvas Wrap made. Snap it in place and the effect is similiar, if you don't like it and you can remove. If you really like the look, don't mind the less open feel, you can always glass them in.

I had mine done in black
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Love that express!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Or instead of canvas you can copy John Jackson and make the wndow cover out of Isenglass. That way you still get light and can see out of them.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

If you don't repair the area 100% it will leak. Do you lose light by covering the front, yes. Does it make the boat a cave. NO
Any cover will leak over time, mother nature always seems to find a way to put water where you don't want it. The only cure is new front windows (expensive) or a cowel (cheaper then a new front window set up)
Unfortunatley if you cover the existing frames you will ultimatley get used to drying things out or being disappointed in your choice.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Carl

Post by Carl »

Thanks Mikey.

Yeah JP is right, if the windows leak...the cover will just make it a darker leak.

I like the lines better with the front covered. I'd probly glass the front in if I had the time to do it right. Although it is nice to open up the front windows once in awhile.