Best Anchor

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jgentry

Best Anchor

Post by jgentry »

I've just purchased a 1987 50 Bertram and am going to put a new anchor on her. Have a bow pulpit that comes across top of the anchor so I think newer styles (e.g. rocna, manson) won't work. Have been looking at a 55lb delta but wonder if I should be looking at a Bruce?

Also curious as to thoughts about anchor weight, is the 55lb delta the right size or should I go up in weight?

Thanks very much
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

What sort of bottom conditions would you most likely be attempting to anchor in? That's really the key to selecting the proper anchor.

The size of the boat simply helps you figure out the size of the anchor, not the right type....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

The best anchor I ever had for sandy or muddy bottoms is the Delta. Damn thing sets fast and never brakes loose. I use a 30 foot length of chain which probably helps a great deal also.
"Who," Galileo asked, "would dare assert that we know all there is to be known?"
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

I've had a Bruce & now I have a 35 lb Kingston. (Delta knockoff) In rocky areas the Bruce was easier to get caught in rocks & then difficult to free up. On both of them I've also snagged lobster trawls in 100' water. (Lobster trawl could have 5 > 10 traps on a trot line) With all that weight I had a heck of a time lifting the trot line off the fingers on the Bruce. On the Kingston, once the anchor was pulled up to the boat, I just had the Admiral bump the boat into fwd & I was able to just slip the trot line right off. I also think the Delta style sets a little easier.

If you anchor out a lot in deeper water & have lobster trawls in your area that is something to think about. Of course you could always just cut the gear loose. I figure these guys are trying to make a living, so I don't.
Al
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

I've bottom fished for years here in the Northeast (for a living and recreationaly) in boats from 18 to 65ft. I've always had great success with the Danforth style anchors. Whether it be the expensive Fortress anchors or the standard Danforth High Tensile anchors. The biggest secret is the length of chain in front of the anchor. The secret to setting the hook is always having enough chain in front of the hook and plenty of scope.

Have fun and good luck
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"