Auto-pilot ?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt. DQ

Auto-pilot ?

Post by Capt. DQ »

In need of some advice here Guys,

Just purchase the Ray-Marine ST-6002/S1 Auto-pilot system, has anybody ever mounted the compass in the ceiling above the salon of the FBC, I know they recommend to mount it as close to the center part of the boat and as low as possible, but interference from the 12v bilge pump when running or the 120v raw water pump for A/C running would be within 3' of the compass if mounted below. So just above the ceiling is looking pretty good to me and nothing to interfere, was just wondering if anybody has done this. 31's are low profile boats anyway.

R,
DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
ScottD

Auto pilot

Post by ScottD »

DQ, I have a Raymarine ST8001 (same as yours but with a knob) and mounted the fluxgate in the ceiling. It works fine and stays dry and easy to run the cables. I think it's better there than in the bilge.

ScottD
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Thanks Scott that is what I was thinking, just need to hear it from somebody that has it working for them.

R,
DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

If I am wrong please someone here correct me, but I believe a flux gate compass is immune to outside magnetic and electrical interferences, since it works on a different principal than responding to the earth's magnetic fiels, as a traditional compass does.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

The Electronic's man said DO NOT install within 3' of electric motors or 12v pumps or you have problems.

R,
DQ
Last edited by Capt. DQ on Apr 30th, '08, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

The fluxgate compass DOES read the earth's mag. field, just does it electronically rather than float a magnet in fluid. Anyway, I mounted the fluxgate for my Sitex SP 70 on the centerline in the 'attic' above the cabin ceiling as far forward as I could get it. Has worked fine for year. The transmitter for my 150 watt SSB radio is about 2 or 3 feet from it and when I key the mike on the SSB see no problem with the pilot. Try not to run any high amp 12v wires close to it tho.

UV
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

UV,

You mounted your fluxgate compass vertical and not horizontally correct?

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Yep, built a little horizonal shelf and it sits on that....as I remember it had a "this side up" or an arrow or something to indicate the up side. The black box for the pilot is in the attic too, along with the automatic antenna tuner for the SSB and the SSB transmitter box - I have the Icom 802 sideband with a small remote control head. There is a lot of room up there and it stays dry. I have a hatch in the ceiling over the galley sink for access.....4 screws hold it up there, been meaning to put some hinges and a cam lock, but only think about it when I need to get up there, which is not often, maybe twice a year to fog everything with CX. If you needed more room for electronics boxes up there it would real easy to build some shelves, like a radio rack.

UV