Boat Yard Fire/ Hazmat in Boston

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Pete Fallon

Boat Yard Fire/ Hazmat in Boston

Post by Pete Fallon »

FYI,
Boston Fire Deptment 2nd alarm fire 8:00 AM this morning at Boston Boat Works 256 Marginal St. East Boston. Site is MJM yacht manufacturing plant, next to Bethleham Steel, fire involved barrels of chemicals, 30 workers and aleast 15 firefighters had to be decontaminated. Unkown damage to boats in production. MJM makes beautiful 29'-34' picnic style boats, owner Bob Johstone built J 24, J34 sail boats.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Glad no one was hurt. MJM's little day cruisers are sweet numbers. Very light and high tech, but nice runners- perfect picnic boat (canI say that after Hinckley trade marked it?). I rode one a few times out of 3 mile harbor in East Hampton. Never fished on one though.

Mack

Post by Mack »

Wow. Bad news for 2 of my nieghbors who own the MJM and J Boat franchises locally. Given the slow boat sales market, that is as close as you get to a knockout blow.
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Just worked on an MJM the other day. Nice boat.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Mack wrote:Wow. Bad news for 2 of my nieghbors who own the MJM and J Boat franchises locally. Given the slow boat sales market, that is as close as you get to a knockout blow.
Could be Jewish Lighting...
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

That was my first thought.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
randall

Post by randall »

mine too........there's a B25 in a boat yard on 3 mile harbor that got hit by "lightning"....good hull for a redo.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Two old business owners sitting next to each other in the home talking about the good old days.

Irv says, yea I had 3 fires at my place. Each and every time I came back stronger than ever. When it came time for me to retire, a fire broke out and I cleaned up from the insurance.

Bob said, wow I couldn't imagine going thru that. I had 45 years of good business and when it was time for me to retire I had a flood and the insurance paid off big. I retired very wealthy.

Irv thought for a moment and said, How do you start a flood?
randall

Post by randall »

my dad was robbed at gunpoint a few times and his sales men were robbed even more. he was in the diamond jewelry biz. when i questioned him about this facet of the biz his reply was" if they dont shoot me it always works out in my favor. insurance company pays off and then they almost always recover the goods which i buy back for 20 cents on the dollar" luckily i didnt have to face that but i do know what it feels like to walk around with 1.5 million in a briefcase while gangs of colombians are looking for a mark.