PSS Dripless water injection not working

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Hueso

PSS Dripless water injection not working

Post by Hueso »

guys...my starboard engine riser is not injecting water to the pss dripless system.....took the hose out and no water will come out from the engine and the pss is clean as water came in when I pulled the hose out from it.....nonetheless, there is water going out the exhaust when the engine is running.....do I need to prime it some how?......should I split the hose in the other engine to find a new source of water injection?
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Maybe a pencil zinc came apart and is blocking the water
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

brew....but where does a pencil zinc comes from or what is it for that matter?.......
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Uh oh, and bingo too.

What engines do you have? Look around your heat exchangers for things that look like plugs. Unscrew the plug and you'll likely find a tapped threaded female hole inside (or one plugged up with a crusty old zinc in it).

That's where the pencil zinc goes, and should be swapped out (or at least removed and inspected) every few months at a minimum.

I can only tell you exactly where they are in a CAT 3208... but give your engine type, and someone here that is more experienced than me will know exactly where they go, and how many to look for.

For an idea, in my CAT's there are two small and one big zinc on each heat exchanger. Some (not mine) also have them on the exhaust riser
"Who," Galileo asked, "would dare assert that we know all there is to be known?"
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I have the yanmars 315s and the water for the dripless comes from the tranny cooler and there is a pencil zinc plug right above the port that feeds the water to the dripless. I was thinking maybe that was what was clogging that port on your engine. Bruce would be way better to tell you. I may have been speaking out of place.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Its not uncommon to have the hole clog up on something like that. I suggest once a year to remove hose and fitting and cllean out the hole.

Stnadard gear cooler on that engine has no zinc.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

On the Cummins B series the plug is on the underside of the heat exchanger on the foward (bow) end. Walter
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

I have 454 big block gas engines......hose comes from the starboard side of the starboard engine........when I turn the engine on and take the hose out of the engine no water comes out..........I recall it is a brass nipple.....and I have clear view hoses.........

Bruce:

I'll try that next weekend...........In the meantime, may I split the hose in the other engine to use it in the not working one?

Thank you as always!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

David,

You can split, if at least temporarily, but use a "Y" connector rather than a "T" connector. The middle port is the supply connection, with the other two, (at equal angles), going to the shaft logs. Put differently, looking at it, turn the Y upside down. The connector at the top is the supply from the engine, the bottom two are the shaft log connections.

Once connected, verify that you have adequite water flowing from both. The engine may be putting out enough water to handle both logs, but you are splitting the volume, reducing what you once had by half...

Br,

Patrick
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

My water supply hoses came off the manifold once also, but I changed that by putting a "Y" fitting on the hose coming out of the raw water pump. I'm reasonably sure I won't have to put up with some sort of crud clogging up the smaller hose to the dripless.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I'd just clean out the hole. If its off the cast riser, its just clogged.