Auto P Install Q's

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Hyena Love

Auto P Install Q's

Post by Hyena Love »

So, I am embarking on the installation of the SiTex 70 Auto P on the B28. I have the Hynautics steering with the bicycle pump reservior thang. One steering location only.

Couple q's.

First, the compass - where to mount? Have an alum. fuel tank under the floor in the salon, and that area tends to be wet. Mount on the bulkhead in front of the aux. fuel tank but in tupperware or seek alt. location? Heard of some folks mounting in the flybridge under the console, and pressed up front sloping edge.

Second, the pump - where to mount? I am thinking SB engine room on the front bulkhead which would give me (round numbers) 7 foot runs of new hydr. hose. Better to place in the flybridge and tie in at the helm or perhaps back towards the rudders?

Third, the brains - was planning to mount those on the SB wall of the flybridge, under the panel. Bout the driest spot on my boat except for the cabin.

Fourth, and really the most stupid of all q's, what size do the fitting need to be to tie into the system? I mic'ed the exterior diameter of one fitting at just over .524 inches. I think that means 1/4 inch threads and 3/8 inch hose. Surely, there is some sort of standard size for these Hynautic systems, but unfortunately, its lost on me. I do not what to use copper or any of them do-it-yourself flared fittings. Plan to buy (have made) the hose in the appropriate length and then just thread into T's.

Any other install tricks, short cuts, or hints would be most appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Ernest- My electronics guy installed the compass under the foward dinette seat next to the back of the drawer that slides under the seat. I think you're set up like a B-31 inside. Walter
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Well, I installed my SP 70 a long time ago.....used 3/8 plastic tubing with compression fittings and 3/8 pipe thread fittings since that's what the pump uses. Just "T" into the two lines and that's it. I mounted the fluxgate compass in the 'attic' in front of the FB way up forward on the cneterline and the 'brains' a couple of feet behind it, makes it real easy to run the wires. I had trouble from the get go with the plug that the control head plugs into and ended up hard wiring the control head spiral cord to the control harness using a chrome wire pass thru. Never an issue after I got rid of the plug.

I assume you got the linear rudder feedback and plan to attach the business end to your rudder tie bar. Don't lose the manual or it's impossible to set the rudder speed without it - a mindless sequence of pushing buttons.

My control head got smashed in Katrina and Sea Trac got me a new one with no problem since the unit is still in production. I think its a damn good pilot for the money.

UV
Carl

Post by Carl »

My hynautic fittings are 1/4 NPT. That would measure about .524 on the larger end of a male fitting. I used 3/8 OD Nylon Tubing and fittings from Hynautic.

I was going to stick with the heavy duty 1000 PSIW stuff that was there, but was talked out of it. The nylon tubing runs real easy, easier to work with and less $$.

I put the fluxgate in the head along with the brain. I had intentions to mount the fluxgate elsewhere but just wanted to get it in and give it a whirl. Works flawlessly mounted in the vanity so I just mounted everything there in the back and under the shelf so I didn't loose any room for the Wifey's stuff.

She didn't even know it was there for several years. Till she was cleaning out her stuff. Then of course it was in her way and couldn't stay...cause you know she needs room for her stuff too.... and I have the rest of the boat to put my stuff... and she only wants a little room in the vanity...was that too much to ask?... huh? Well, I completely agreed with her and said I'd move it. That was several years ago and it is on my list of things to do.

Anyway that's where I have mine.

The pump is in the engine compartment up on a shelf where I had the all the hydraulic lines running, I just tee'd into all of them and mounted the pump...done.
Last edited by Carl on Apr 9th, '08, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

make sure you install the pump after the check valve block.
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Thanks guys.

Couple points -

Walter - yes, set up like a B31 except the layout is reversed relative to say Vic's B31. Table to SB, crapper and kitchen to port.

Uncle Vic - thats why I bought it, including the linear feedback . I have long since figured out that your recommendations can be taken to the bank.

Sim - Now I know thats a true story. I think most of us have heard a version of that conversation a time or two. "Is that too much to ask?" Too funny.

Bruce - after, meaning between the valve and the rudders, right? Thats my read.

Thanks.
Kingfish

Re: Auto P Install Q's

Post by Kingfish »

On my B28 the flux gate compass is mounted under the console, and up against the front sloping edge on the center line as you describe.

My pump is mounted aft of the compass about 2.5'

The brain is mounted starboard just inside the access door on the bridge.

I also have one of those bicycle pump "thingies".

Are you going with a linear feedback or rudder feedback ?
Jim
1975 28 FBC
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Yes you are correct.

Another "extra" that I do on most pilot pump installs is to install ball valves before the pump.
That way if the pump fails, the valves can be shut and the pump removed without having the steering down.

Last pilot install I did, the pump failed within a year and started leaking over in the Bahamas. Guy just shut the valves and saved himself a whole bunch of head aches till he got stateside.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Bruce-

Great idea.
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Good idea on the valves.

Yes, I am planning on using the outboard style linear feed back, as opposed to the rotary/inboard style.

THanks again.
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

One more thing to consider......When tee'ing into nylon tube you should use those brass inserts in the tube so when you tighten it wont collapse.
Troy
Kill Em All ......Let God Sort Em Out
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bruce,
Why put pump between the valve and rudders. Is this is on the 3 line system as well?

I was told to install anyplace I could get pump to fit and plumb. I do like the ball valve idea... not too crazy about putting the pump in the stern though.

I may have to rethink my install.

Thanks,
Carl
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have a two station Sportsfisherman with a Hydnautic system. My pump is in the starboard engine box just outside of the transmission end of the engine. My lines with shut-off levered ball valves are mounted on the inside of the hull on the starboard side and are accessible by just lifting the engine box and leaning over the engine. Walter
Bill Fuller

Post by Bill Fuller »

Fo r anyone who may be interested, I recently made the conversion from mechanical steering to hydraulic steering on my B28. At the same time I plumbed in the AP pump. I uesed the SeaStar rear mount helm and teed into the AP pump which was mouinted on the floor of the flybridge, behind the dash towads the starboard side. I also used the ball valves for shut-off purposes. I posted a couple of pictures on Bertram28.net on March 27, 2008 under the engines, shafts, etc forum if anyone wants to look. I will try to post a few pics here when I am home.

I will use the Simrad AP16 and hope to begin the installation this weekend.

Bill
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Bruce wrote:Another "extra" that I do on most pilot pump installs is to install ball valves before the pump.
That way if the pump fails, the valves can be shut and the pump removed without having the steering down.
That is a Great Idea but a year late for me, Dam it. Oh well next time I will know!
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page