Too good to be true....

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

nic

Too good to be true....

Post by nic »

While trying to buy a Boston Whaler Montauk 17 I noticed this real cheap Boston Whaler 280, 2001 model, twin Yamaha 4-stroke 225s for $20,000 in Minnesota:

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/4059

OK, at that price we'll buy that too. Turns out it's not in Minnesota anymore, it's in Athens, Greece and they really want to sell it quick. OK, I line up Stavros, the local Yamaha tech. to have a look and ask who their attorney is to handle the sale. Nothing heard.

Then I notice it's also for sale in California:

http://www.boat-world.com/boatads/156705860.html

and in Texas:

http://www.thesaltydog.com/search/viewlisting50555.aspx

Do they think that we'd just send money? How does this work?

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Yes, they do. With the price of boats plunging. I've heard more and more scams going on.

Although the upside is that some dealers are liquidating inventory. Pete came by the booth at the PB boat show and said there was a new 37 Dusky with triple Suzuki's going for 96K.
Dug

Post by Dug »

I have a friend who may have sold his 31.

The buyer wants the pulpit, tower and electronics gone. No survey, as is where is.

The boat will be going to Greece for a full restoration, and then to a buyer as yet unknown.

Europe and the rest of the world are flexing the muscles with a weak dollar, that is for sure!

Dug
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Our solution? Ask higher prices!! I don't mind selling for more to
Europe!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Nic,
Had a neighbor with a cousin that he sold his 17 Whaler to. Said that the cousin wanted $2500 for the boat, motor, and trailer. Motor was a 90 hp OMC that was worn out.I tried to close the deal for at least 1 1/2 yrs. I asked the neighbor a few months ago about the statis and was told that the boat was sold a few weeks earlier. I was bummed out like I've been a million times in the past. Everyone drinks where we have our house on the coast, encluding us, way more than we should.and my wife keeps telling me that I shouldn't keep listening to deals that are too good to be true. It's hard to find stand up people in today's world, drunk or sober. Thank God for all of you.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Face

Post by Face »

I'm trying to sell my Stamas 26' in order to finish, finishing my B28. At any rate I'm about to list it with a broker who sells overseas. I've talked to a few other brokers here and what they told me was unbelievable. They said there might not be much of a market for my boat overseas, but they would be surprised if there were any Bayliners left in the U.S. in 5 years due to overseas buyers. High fuel costs here, struggling economy, weakening dollar, and high tariffs overseas are evidently allowing for many used boats to be sold and shipped to places such as Europe and South Africa. Another marine mechanic friend of mine said he was hired two years ago to rebuild 4 mercruisers to be sent to South Africa, and that they didn't really care how much they cost.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

John Cranston, when it comes to stand-up people, you are leading the parade.
Some beautiful props are going on Dreamsicle in about two weeks, we actually hope to splash about Memorial Day. Can't believe I am actually saying this as it has been a seven-year project, but because of all the Faithful and their learned advise I am proud to say she looks fabulous!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein