Boston Whaler Montauk 17....Need Help Pls

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

nic

Boston Whaler Montauk 17....Need Help Pls

Post by nic »

We want to buy a good Montauk 17 if anyone knows of one from the faithful please tell us.

In the mean time we have found one that we like the look of in the Ocean Springs Ms area...does anyone know a local surveyor who could act as our agent in the buying and shipping of this little boat to Australia.

Thanks,

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

This site is a good starting point:

http://continuouswave.com/cgi-bin/Ultim ... tion=intro
Buju

Post by Buju »

One of our newer board members here ( whaler1777 ? ) was selling his 17 about a year back... If I remember correctly it seemed to be a clean, and well maintained looking montauk. Could send him a pm and see if it's still available.
nic

Post by nic »

Thanks Buju, I PM'd Whaler and he's sold it a while ago...we missed the one in Ocean Springs, there are a lot available so we'll find another one. Still going to need someone to act for us but it will depend on where it is. If you hear of any others owned by the faithful pls let me know.

Nic
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

Jim
1975 28 FBC
Goodgrief

Whaler

Post by Goodgrief »

Hay Nic, I must say you have great taste in Boats! I tow a Montock behind my 31. I knew you were missing somthing when I was aboard, a dingie. I have a close friend selling a spotless 17 w/a 115 Suzukie 4 stroke. It is gaurage kept ( that is a shed) all of its life.
nic

Post by nic »

Dave,

Good to hear from you, we couldn't agree on a dinghy so we never got one. We swim ashore.

We'd be interested in the whaler can you give your friend my email address nbdoig@gmail.com

Do you know what year it is? What do people think about the change in hull design in 2002?

Thanks Kingfish....We are tending towards the later model.

Nic
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Nic, Da Judge is also looking for a Montauk. There are two for sale in Baton Rouge now. $9500 and $13500. I am going to look at them this week for him. Will let you lnow if you want.
My 4th is my 18" Ventura w/a 150 merc 2 stroke. My third is still lost to Katrina, jammed in the mud, I think.
I told UV before that the BW ownership % on this board is high.
A person needs 3-8 boats.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Nic- by far my favorite is the 17' Newport model. We have one for the lake up in Michigan and I have to say it is the most comfortable 17' BW I have ever ridden in. 90 hp 2 stroke evinrude. Fast and comfy.
Goodgrief

Post by Goodgrief »

Nic, that is my dingie. Nothing wrong with a dingie being half the size of the boat. I fish it a lot in Canada and go skiing with it, it is my sport utility boat. I will be getting some pics of my friends boat. What kind of a budget do you have and what years are you looking for? Have you looked into shipping? I can call my mate in Melbourne, he has imported several race boats to AU if you need any info.
nic

Post by nic »

Andre,

We'd be interested to hear about those boats, though from the price they sound like they would be older and our thoughts are newer is probably what we are looking for....though the classics have some appeal too...so we are flexible for a really clean boat with a newer outboard or maybe we just put a new outboard on it. Pretty open.

Dave,

We've got a ball-park on shipping that hurts but we can live with it...on prices we are looking for reasonable value for a good boat...there are plenty for sale so pricing is pretty easily established, probably prefer newer around $20k but open to suggestion for a good boat. Bear in mind the new model was $17,500 approx in 2002. We don't mind saving money...., strike that...wrong activity!

Weird story....friend of mine has a classic 43ft sport-fish that he charters. He is doing a film shoot and is on his way to an off-shore location towing his Montauk. He cuts close by a reef break that I am surfing, abt 2-3ft (Hawaiian), he is one-out on the flybridge, doesn't know I'm there of course though I see him. I'm watching as the Montauk comes loose, as in breaks free from the tow, about 150 ft from the break!!! I see it straight away...paddle over to it, put my leg rope around the towing eye and paddle away...he doubles back and throws me the tow-line, I put a proper bow-line through the towing eye and he's on his way in moments. One in a million chance, maybe more. He gives me a pair of 40yr old outrigger bases he has lying around for the Tennessee as a thankyou. (We have to beef -up the flybridge sides to make them work...but hey).

Thanks for all the help, looks like we'll get one lined up.

Nic