The new Captain's licenses

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory Walter K

The new Captain's licenses

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I just got my renewal via certified mail. If you look in the upper left hand corner, the new one says- "Department of Homeland Security-U.S. Coast Guard". It used to say "Department of transportation-U.S. Coast Guard. Now that I have it, I tried calling the number given on the website for the TWIC permits. I wanted to find out if there was an office on Long Island rather than going back to NYC twice. The computer looks by zip code and according to them, the nearest office within 150 miles from East Hampton or Montauk is in Connecticut and Rhode Island. I called their number and was told by recording that the telephone waiting time was approximately 40 minutes. NO ONE...NONE of the charter captains or marinas I have talked to know anything about this. What a mess! Walter
ScottD

TWIC

Post by ScottD »

Walter, I don't know about NY, but in Tampa it was pretty easy. I signed up online, filled out paper work and set an appointment. When I went to the office I was in and out of the place in about 15 to 20 min. I have to go back in about 6 weeks to pick/activate the badge, I hope that goes as well.

Scott
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Like Scott.. after I went into the TWIC office (about 10 miles from my house) the first time and went through the procedure of answering some questions and being electronically fingerprinted I was told to wait for a notice from them as to when to come in again to pick up my card.. got an email from them several weeks later to come in the second time.. went in the next day and they checked my fingerprints with what they had on file, and after about 5 minutes they handed me a card with my pic and some kind of biometric chip embedded in it. It is good for 5 years. When I spoke to the CG office in Boston where I will submit my application for my license they said they did not know anything about the TWIC card.
In Memory Walter K

That's what makes me nuts...combined with a seeming inability to talk with anyone who can answer a question about a location nearer than a 300 mile round trip two times to get it. Any way I slice it, it's a $100 trip each time even if I take a bus and subway, to say nothing about spending two whole days doing it. Walter
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Walter, I know I'm down in MD, but if you send me either b-mail or e-mail what you need I'll ask my neighbor to look into it. She works in the office that does the licences etc.

no-need to get the runaround.

br, JohnD
johndunker@yahoo.com
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

waterk i passed my 100ton master exam with towing endorsement i was told they are in the process of opening a office in riverhead for the card we need.
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Walter, let's round up the usual suspects and have lunch at Brewstwer's. I'm sure we'll come up with a solution.
A/K/A El Gaupo
Harv

Post by Harv »

I like Dick's way of thinking.
The solution to all problems is ...

LUNCH AT BREWSTER'S!!
Harv
In Memory Walter K

A ritual is forming...Pick a day! Walter