Refurbishing a slate patio

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Refurbishing a slate patio

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Well, a little off topic, but that's what we do here now and then. I just finished refurbishing the 40+ year old Vermont slate and brick patio at our home and learned a lot.....like what thin-set is, what grout is, how do do it, and then the most important, what effervesence is (the white stuff on/in brick and slate and how to get rid of it (yes, it involves CX), then how to seal the slate and brick. Learned it all on the wonderful internet. Won't bore ya'll here, but the 900 sq. ft. patio looks great......retirement is not bad at all. If anyone wants the tips, just email me at home, royvictor@cox.net

UV, even more easily entertained than when he was amongst the world of the working......
randall

Post by randall »

been there ,done that...caught kneezels
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

caught kneezels
Watch out, kneazles can cross breed with your cat...
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Uncle Vic: Im curious how you got rid of the dreaded./... effervesence.
I used to use linseed oil /Laquer thinner 1/1 mix on used brick fireplace faces.. Dont tell me cx/ does it?
Wayne
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

How bout it Vic..........do you hire out?????

Post a pic..........We love to look at pictures! ! ! !

Harry
hb
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Aldon Chemical makes some really good brick & stone chemicals, and their "Effervesence Treatment" works real good on un-sealed brick and stone.....my slate had been sealed, so their stuff would not soak in well....soooooooo mixed up 50/50 CX and lacquer thinner and it did the trick, penetrated perfect. Let it sit for a day or so then washed it down with soap & water and a push broom, let that dry for a few days and applied Aldon's S-B-S solvent based sealer....now that's the cat's meow - nice and glossy and when it cures is hard as a rock. We had a big rain over the weekend and the water just beaded up. I just hosed it all off and it looks like new - nothing much sticks to it after its sealed.

According to Aldon's site (www.aldonchem.com) there are two kinds of effervesence, the "powdery" which is soluable salts that migrate up through the stone or brick from inside and "crystaline" which is on the surface and usually left over from sprinkler system evaporation. The surface kind is easily removed with muriatic acid which the "powdery" has to be carried down into the stone by some sort of solvent. I had a few hundred sq. ft. of un-sealed brick and Aldon's worked fine on it, but the magic potion of CX & thinner was the only thing that worked on the dense, sealed slate. Took about 3/4 of a gallon of CX to do about 850 sq. ft. of slate.

I'm too dumb to post a pix, send me an email at home - royvictor@cox.net and I'll send one.

Gave AJ a much needed bath yesterday, and the old girl looks showroom again....Imron is some good stuff.

UV