Tank Suppliers

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Tank Suppliers

Post by John F. »

OK--E10 looks like its here to stay on the Chesapeake. The spring rock season starts late April, and if its like other years, it'll be hot for a couple weeks and then die. I've got about 40-50 gallons in the boat, and can fish within a mile of my house, so I plan on running through the gas I have, getting some E10, and running a bit of that for the remainder fo the hot period. If I can find a gas station within a couple hours that doesn't have E10, I've got enough tanks available to get another 100 and maybe be able to make it through the season without E10.

Then, I'll pull her and get a new tank. I need recommendations for a good tank builder, and hopefully will be able to find one that'll do a quick turnaround. I called a local custom builder to find a local tank builder, and they use SP Sheet Metal out of Toms River, NJ. Patnovic used Atlantic Welding (or something like that--I'll get the name of the tank) out of NJ for Crae's boat Mako. I searched the board, and found Carvers' Point in Pt. Pleasant mentioned, and Patriot Marine in Forked River. Are Carvers' and Patriot tank builders or marinas that'll do installs.

Anyway, I've got SP and Atlantic as recommendations, and maybe Carvers and Patriot--any other recommendations or warnings (or other advice) are appreciated.

Tanks--

John F.
yuk, yuk, yuk

Got the side curved windows in. Hope to finish the windows this weekend and will take some pics.
Joe Vukan

Post by Joe Vukan »

Just picked up my 250 gallon tank at SP Sheetmetal in Toms River N.J. for my 1977 Bahia Mar. Only took about two weeks from first contact to completion . Cost $2570.00 1/4"Al. epoxy coated,with mounting tabs.
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

sp did one for my aquasport 240 106 gallons ready to install for 900 they fax you an order sheet you fill in the dimensions it all took just less than two weeks
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

Watch out for S&P. I believe Frank Fiamano and Bill G. had a lot of issues with them. I also met a couple of others that had issues with them. I believe they have new owners for about the last 3 years or so.

Patriot in Forked River did a tank for one of the 31's in my marina last year. Did a nice job. There is a powder coater right next store to them, so they also had it powder coated. Or you can call Richard Kidd or Dany Piedro and order a new fiberglass tank.

Maybe Harv will jumb in since I think he ordered one from Richard.

Another thought, if you are only looking for a short load, try a private airport. No ethanol in that leaded stuff, just about a $1 more per gallon though.

Tony
raybelanger

Tank suppliers

Post by raybelanger »

John I had SP make both my tanks for Reel Crazy back in99 did a good job . No problems. Patriot also makes tanks. Carvers is a great place for install. but they don't fabricate. if you'd like i can stop into Sp and get any info you need. Ray B
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

hey ray
were have you been hiding, hope all is well
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks for the replies. Mike Dolan sent me drawings that he used for his tank, and they'll be helpful as I figure out what to do. I found out this am, basd on Tony's suggestion, that I can get non-ethanol gas at the local private airport for only $4.65 gallon. At least that'll get me through spring rock season. Any other ideas or suggestions?

Ray- Thanks for the offer. SP emailed some stuff, and the salesperson was very helpful, so I think I'm set. I just have to get this figured out.

John F.
Mack

Post by Mack »

John-
Just spoke to the folks at WCM and yes they had Altantic Costal Welding in NJ build my tank. WCM has used them for all of their tank replacements and 31 rebuilds. The web site it www.speedytanks.com.

On a separate note, I need to do something about the boat name on the transome. It is painted on and starting to fade. Should I get it repainted or go for the stick on name? Looking for the most durable option. I may also use the opportunity to change the boat name. Not sure about changing a boat name after 35 years though!!
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
John F.

Post by John F. »

Crae-

Thanks. Let me know when Mako get here--I really want to take a look at the tank/install. I used easy-off to get the name off my boat when I got her. I had vinyl graphics made by a place near Annapolis Mall for about $100, and 6 years later they look pretty much like new. I remember my Dad touching up/going over the painted name on the transom of his boat. After a few touch-ups, it didn't look real good--although he's continued to touch it up when needed for awhile now--since 1967 (he did it again last year).

John
Classic Trade

Post by Classic Trade »

I did some research last week and have found that E-10 is now throughout all of Maryland, Deleware and Virginia eastern shore areas. The only place you can get gasoline without E-10 is Fairfax Virginia. This information was given to me from Cato Oil Co. serving Maryland eastern shore, telephone# 410-546-1215. The company said it would transport the gasoline without E-10 to your facility from Fairfax Virginia for the price of the gas plus 11 cents per gallon hauling fee but you must buy 8,500 gallons of it. If you can talk your Marina into buying the good gas, you can get it.

Classic Trade.
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

Mack....If you go with stick on...make sure its 3M brand. Every boat i have had i removed the painted name and used vinyl with good results. also one note of caution. The metallic colors of vinyl are not good in the sun at all and wont last long. The solids seem to last forever. just think how long the numbers on the side of the hull last. Getting the old paint off will be a pain. i sanded it off with 360grit and then 600grit and 1500grit and polish before i applied vinyl then waxed after it was on. To apply vinyl use a spray bottle with water and a drop of dish soap. Spray hull and decal first place it where it needs to be and use a plastic bondo spreader to sqoeeze out the water from the center out and it should come out great. Troy
Kill Em All ......Let God Sort Em Out
Face

Post by Face »

I was told you could purchase non ethanol gas at the small airport in St. Mary's County near the WildWood shopping center. I don't know the name of the airport but it is on Airport Rd (Wildwood, MD, or California, MD). This is about 10-15 minutes from Solomons Island (Calvert County). Hope this helps.
-Joe
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

john f i cannot see how you can buy gas from the airport anymore i would love to here about this.i would go to the local small airport all the time and then a short time ago they made you fill out papers and treated the car as a small plane (they even put ground clamp on it before fueling from tanker truck)they refused to sell it in a can or proper fuel container.the car is all but useless,nice to look at but in reality heat comes thru firewall with no air becomes unbearable in summer as well as the fact you cannot go to far because you will not be able to gas it up.the triple two barrels love gas and the car runs well on airport low lead (blue)actually this is misleading ,the gas contains more lead than the gas available at pumps years ago but is needed for high preformance private planes.here is a picture of my identical car that is basiclly to fast to even think about,breaks wheels loose at any speed!!!

John F.

Post by John F. »

Bob-

The told me it was no problem. I have to use gas cans, and can't pull the truck up to the pump. First thing the guy mentioned was how all the locals with hi-performance cars would come and get the gas. Its at least a badn-aid 'til I get this taken care of.

John
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

john you mention gas pump.the small airports around here only pump from a tank truck,i am not sure but i think all aircraft must fuel from tanker.pump with tank in ground is a no-no from what they told me water/condensation ----federal laws i think.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I had a discussion with my fuel supplier today, and he says that by May we will all have ethanol. He is trying to find supplies of non ethanol to supply his marina clients, but it doesn't look good. I guess I will be cutting up my deck and pulling my nice fiberglass tank soon, damn it!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Randall ran his B-25 on Avgas from East Hampton Airport all last season. Bought it to his boat in 5-gallon cans. He had no performance problems and was doing it for the same reason as you...to stretch out the need for a tank change. Walter
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

John I would not give SP the time of day. They are A-holes. They can't build a tank even with the old ones sitting in their shop. Joe I hope you have better luck. Go to Atlantic.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Tony Meola wrote:Maybe Harv will jumb in since I think he ordered one from Richard.

Tony
It's been a long wait for my tank, mostly because I didn't need it till this past winter. But winter has come and gone and I need the tank. I was told that Richard and Danny were both having production issues because of their manufacturer. I was originally told that turn around time from fabrication to completion was about 1 month. After placing my order at the AC Rendezvous last year and much prodding over the past few weeks, Richard called today and I was told , that my tank will be shipping out in 2 weeks on the 11th. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Harv
John F.

Post by John F. »

Harv-

Thanks. I'll be looking for a quick turnaround--hopefully a week or so. That, and the price of the fglass tanks (I was quoted $4500 and $4800) has me back at getting an aluminum tank.

John
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

John,
I almost forgot. I was down on Kent Island last Monday, St Paddy's Day. I picked up another small boat. This time a Herreshoff 18 Pilot Launch. It is a little cruiser with a brand new two banger yanmar. If diesel goes to 10 bucks a gallon I can still go for a boat ride without a fuel loan. It was a quick trip and I figured you would be working. Good luck on the tank. By the way most avgas contains lead. The red stuff is 80/87 octane, too low for your 454's. The green stuff is 100 LL (low lead). I guess that would be best choice.
Harv

Post by Harv »

John F. wrote:Harv-

Thanks. I'll be looking for a quick turnaround--hopefully a week or so. That, and the price of the fglass tanks (I was quoted $4500 and $4800) has me back at getting an aluminum tank.

John
John,

I got the same pricing. $4800 with the shipping from Richard. The main reasons I went with fiberglass are because I will be chartering and I saw something about stainless and aluminum not being USCG approved for charter vessels....especially gas powered. This may have changed recently but not before I ordered the tank. Also my decision was made prior to the engine failure.
The second reason came from Capt. Patrick. The new fiberglass tanks should outlive aluminum regardless of ethanol content, and there is absolutely zero chance of a weld letting go and causing a leak. Also, i have learned that when the fiberglass tank is tabbed back to the hull, it is considered part of the hull, whereas aluminum or steel will always be considered a bolt in application. This is the reason my tank was covered by my insurance.....it was considered a failure of the hull. It pays to read the fine print.
Harv
John F.

Post by John F. »

Harv-

All good points, and if I had the time and money, I'd probably go with a fglass tank. But, I don't have enough of either............
Bill G.

Post by Bill G. »

John,
Not sure I can recommend S&P,had my tank made there,sent old tank and a diagram down for 165 gal. came back 147 gal. no effort what so ever to contact me or help to change the tank or for that fact I had asked for someone to come out to look at the feeds that were to high barely get deck cover over them when I called Darren the owner very hard to get to phone so his sales lady would come on and humor me finally wore me out which is not easy to do if you knew me.Please send my regards if you speak to S&P........................................Bill G.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

im sure if there are boats around there are guys who are MORE then qualified to make you a tank.

Deal locally and see and feel whats going on, you want to move something you can talk about it, put a bracket here or there- you can talk about it.

Deal locally, a shop in another state is not going to make a tank any better then someone in your own neck of the woods.

I will always stand by my comment that I DO NOT trust a tank in shipment, god only knows what they may be resting on top of it, or how they handle it- compromise one of those welds just a tad and your in for a world of crap.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Harv: Who is your insurance with. I would be interested in hearing more on how you got paid for the tank replacement. I will be having to do it soon.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Harv

Post by Harv »

Rawleigh,

call me at 718-934-9748
Harv