New Member, Friend of Dave Kosh

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bfenske

New Member, Friend of Dave Kosh

Post by Bfenske »

Hello, I'm Brian Fenske and new to the site. Myself and two good friends purchased Dave's old boat "Can Do It" and I wanted to join the site to learn as much as I can about the boat including how improve and maintain the boat. Looking forward to making new friends and "learning the ropes".

I live in Cape Coral, Fl so if anyone could give me some pointers on good boatyards in the area for bottom paint, etc. and a good place for volvo penta parts/service would be appreciated. Also, if there are some good internet sites for replacement parts that are cheaper to order, i'm fine with that too.

I fished with Dave the last couple of years of his life and I'm sure glad I met 'em. Some of my best trips ever offshore have been with Dave Kosh.. He will be missed but not forgotten.

Here is one of my favorite fishing pictures from one of our offshore outings.

Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Welcome Brian

Harry Babb
hb
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Welcome aboard, you came to the right place. Capt. Dave was one of our regulars here and we miss him. Fire away with questions, our motto is "there is no such thing as a dumb question" when it comes to 31 Bertrams.

UV
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

I was just working on my steering system the other day, and pulled out a sheet of paper that I had printed and saved for the task. It was an answer to a question that I had posted here, and the answer of interest was from: Dave Kosh.

So if he can give me advice on how to fix my steering from beyond the grave... I'm sure he'll watching be over you guys, offshore in his boat !
"Who," Galileo asked, "would dare assert that we know all there is to be known?"
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

welcome aboard brian, your in the right place
randall

Post by randall »

very nice to meet you.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Welcome to the sandbox. Take good care of Daves boat, Im sure you will and this is the place to find out how.
scot

Post by scot »

Welcome, Dave is missed and it's good to see his boat find a new home with someone that will enjoy and appreciate it.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Welcome aboard Brian, nice looking catch you have there.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Welcome and best of luck with your New Purchase.

I am glad to see the "Can Do It" has returned home to the faithfull with good owners looking to take good care of her from the beginning.

Regards,
Carl
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Brian,

Welcome aboard from another Cape Coral Bertram owner. You will learn a lot from this site from very experienced people. Dave was one who always posted valuable information from his experience.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Good to have you on board! Walter
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Welcome, Dave helped me alot building my hoist.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Harv

Post by Harv »

Welcome to the family.
Harv
Bfenske

Post by Bfenske »

I do my best to keep Dave's old boat ship shape and put to good use. Thanks for the warm greeting. I have alot to learn so i'll be asking alot of questions. Thanks again.

We all set some extra money aside to fix some things up right away if needed. Looks like I'm starting right away.. checked the alternators and one alternator is only charging at 13 volts and the other one is not working at all... tried to tighten the belts to see if that would fix it but it didn't. Also, found one of the turbo air filters needed to be replaced because the rubber where the clamp goes is torn through. Well, at least i'm learning about the boat quickly this way!
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Brian,
Welcome to the site. A wealth of information, even for a lurker like me.

What size Volvo's do you have in your 31'? How's the performance?

I have KAMD 42's in my B28 and was considering the same for my B31. I would expect pretty much the same performance--but just checking.

Ray
Bfenske

Post by Bfenske »

Even though I just bought the boat, I fished in it with the prior owner (Dave Kosh) several times and the boat has twin TAMD60C's that are 250 hp turbo diesels. They performed well on every trip I went on with Dave without any problems. Both engines have less than 1600 hours and the boat runs at about 19 to 20 knots @ 2500 RPM's. I'm not sure if that speed would be the same for all b31's because Dave said this 31' 70 bertram was a military hull and I know the BUC papers said it weighs 17,500 lbs. wet. I don't know enough yet to know if that makes Daves boat heavier than normal. Dave loved them (volvo's) and i'm hoping with proper maintenance, I can say the same.

We did several trips that were around 150 mile round trips and a couple of 200+ mile round trips with no problems.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Welcome aboard! Any friend of Daves is always welcome!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
JackW

Post by JackW »

3 years ago I posted on the board about replacing a floor on my friends 31. Dave responded with plans, stock list & instructions to fine detail. Then he followed up with personal emails with the best places to purchase materials, etc. We have Dave to thank for the input that made it possible. I know to most replacing a floor might be easy but for a couple of hacks that we were Dave helped make it possible. He is missed.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Welcome to the board. I am sure Dave would be happy to know that an old friend of his is taking care of his boat. Good luck and I know everyone here will be ready to provide you with all of the information you will need to keep her in good running condition.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Great to know the boat is in good hands, and welcome aboard!

As many have said, Dave is missed here. He was a knowledgeable, generous and fun guy.

Good luck with the Can Do It, and I am sure we will all answer as many and all questions as possible!

Ask away, and visit here often!

Dug
Bfenske

Post by Bfenske »

Thanks again for the warm greeting. You'll be getting plenty of questions real soon.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

dave had sent me many a p.m. a gentlemen and he sure will be in our minds whenever we talk bertram 31.i welcome you and don`t be afraid to ask questions because most of the answers are "hands on" not from a book.