Rybo runner ?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

Rybo runner ?

Post by JohnCranston »

My friend bought a 30 Rybo in very clean condition...don't know what year model...has a pair of Merc 250's 2000 year model with 130 hours. Came with full electronics and an aluminum trailer. $25kplus $1200 shipping from Florida. Question is, what are the strong points and weak points on this model Rybo? Have always heard great things about the Rybovich name. Sounds like he got one hell of a good deal.

Thanks, guys.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I've only seen one Rybovitch in that smaller size and if it's got a bridge, it's one of very few. The boat I saw would appear every once in a while at Montauk when there used to be giant Tuna. If a Rybo Runner is a 30' center console, I'd love to see a picture of it. I had a guy in the next slip from me for a year with a Striker center console (which I didn't think existed) that was a beast. I love it when classy manufacturers make smaller boats with the same quality they are known for. Walter
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

John,
I am familiar with the rybo runner. I looked at one in Louisiana before setlling on a B31. Great sea boat, lots of beam; a salty boat! The one I looked at had a 300 cummins, was in rough shape, and was priced at $70,000. I've seen outboard models at that price or higher. That is an excellent price your friend got. BTW, the parasail boat here on Block Island was a Rybo runner. My friend Bobby who ran it LOVED it. My $02.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Walter,

A Striker center console???? Wow!

I grew up fishing on a 33' Striker that was sold and sent over to Moriches, NY. That was the last I heard of it.

It was Strike Three when it was in CT, and was re-named Precious Metal over in NY. Anyone over there know the boat? Fond memories...

You are right, they are beasts!
But a paint nightmare...
Dug
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Just found out that she's a 84 model, fighting lady yellow without a scratch. New T-top, 4kw radar, auto pilot. She's been sitting in storage for the last 4 years. I was told that the boat is a Rybobich 31', not a Rybo Runner 30',but the two are the same hull. Any info would be great.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

The Rybo Runner isn't really a true Rybovich...

Mike Matlack was one of the key designer/builders with Rybovich prior to the 1976 sell of the company to Bob Fisher. Matlack, who later designed and produced the Game Fisher, was the original designer & producer of the Rybo Runner.

The Rybo Runner is a stepped hull, center console, outboard motor boat. The Rybo Runner was discontinued by Matlack after several years of limited success. The molds were purchased by a guy in S.E. FL, (can't recall his name...), in around 1998. He was producing the hull under the name of Rain Bow Runner.

One current producer of the design is Typhoon & the "enhanced" model is now called the Canyon Runner, being produved in Miami.

The original Matlack version of the Rybo Runner was a fairly well built & heavy boat. The featured stepped hull design had air pockets which, I believe, was supposed to enhance the planning characteristics by reducing the wetted surface with a film of air.

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Dug,

I fished a on a 34 striker that my friend bought from someone in Morchies---but I am talking 25 years ago at least---when he bought it--it was the Hot Potatoe---the Morchies owner had a series of Strikers each one larger-believe he is still running a 54 footer ---the 34 was a great boat, but painfully slow with 555 NA cummins---it was a 16/17 knot boat.

The Rybo Runner is a totally different animal than a traditional Rybo--It came out of the same yard--but thats about it. I believe it was a stepped hull, way before they became common.
Buju

Post by Buju »

I think the Striker center consoles ya'll are talking about are, or evolved to become Strike Yachts. I think the 29 Strike was the first one they produced, but have gone on to make several models including a 26, a 35, and upward into the 40 and even 50' range now.
I really like the 29, fished on one a few times, had twin cummins under the console, which lifted up via hydraulics. Nice ride, seemed well built, did real good dancing around multiple sail hookups. The 26 is a sweet little gal as well.. comes in a runabout version that looks very reminescint of a moppie, and a c.c.
Not so sure about their newer, larger models...
Buju

Post by Buju »

tds8268

Post by tds8268 »

Very nice but one item to watch out for. These boats are know for _ _ _ _ well I'll just say it, sinking at dock. I have know four of these boats and three of them have gone down at one point during their life. It has something to do with where/how the scuppers are mounted. I don't want to cause a firestorm but I thought you should know. They really are one of the nicest larger center consoles out there.

Dan
Buju

Post by Buju »

The Rybo or the Strike? Either way.... ouch.
Dug

Post by Dug »

I was aware of Strike, and they share a bloodline with Striker, but are a bit different!

The 33' I fished and spent time on was a one off, and not the 34' canyon runner. It was made in the late 70's, and probably sold in the early 80's, so your friend may have had it. However there is a big difference between the 34 and 33 in terms of looks. I last spoke with the owner of Precious Metal in 1997'ish.

Either way, a brick of a boat. I like the 62' and the 70'. I could have a lot of fun with either...
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

I have heard nothing but horror stories from Strike owners. Strikers, now that's a horse of a different color. Super sweet boats. But maintenance nightmares
tds8268

Post by tds8268 »

The three I am speaking of were all the original 30' Rybo Runner.

Dan
CHolgerson

Precious Metal

Post by CHolgerson »

Dug,

I remember the precious metal back when it was in Moriches. That boat was in Moriches for several years prior to being renamed Precious Metal. John Crispino is the name of the guy who bought it and fixed it up and renamed it. He kept it for about 1 year and sold it. He did not like the boat at all. He sold it pretty quick and moved up to a 36' Topaz that was named "Hydrotherapy".

Chris
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Patrick
I truly admire your knowledge of the history of the boating/yachting industry...........

Harry
hb
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Thanks, Harry, but it's really quite limited to the sportfish industry centered around SE FL. Can't tell ya' squat about sail boats, trawlers, motoryachts, or the like... Rybovich comes easy because of friendships with Johnny & Michael Rybovich.

Besides, any good Texan asscribes to the established philosopy of: "If ya' can't bedazzle 'em with brilliance, befuddle 'em with bullsh*t".

Br,

Patrick
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Thanks Capt Patrick, and everyone else, for the info. Any idea how these boats handle the seas? Are they dry? or wet? I'd like to have a little knowledge when I go down to the gulf this weekend, cause I already know, this will be the topic that all of us drunks will be talking about. The people that bought the boat are kind of down on the B 31's for one reason or another. I need a little more ammo, please, if any's available.
Thanks again for everyones help.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

John,

Back in the 80's there was Rybo 30' center console fishing the Pensacola International that was running from a thunderstorm sqall line and coming in Pensacola pass at a very fast speed, very close to me, and I was on a differrent boat.

The Rybo submarined the back side of a wave in Pensacola pass and washed everthing and also most every angler out of the boat. Lucky no one was injured or killed for that matter, but trashed the engines on the back. That my experience on I've seen with the Rybo runner. But it is a nice looking center console boat.

R,
DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
TailhookTom

Small world

Post by TailhookTom »

Dug:

Small world, I fished abord Strike 3 once, must have been right after it was sold, sometime in the mid 90s I think. Hell of a sea boat. Billy Martin was running it for the new owner over to Montauk, I went along for the ride.

Tom

PS, if you haven't had any luck with a guide in key west, call me at 860 202-2139. My best friend's brother has been living down there for over 20 years and every time we go he hooks us up with great guides to fish with.
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

John,
My experience in a Ryborunner in the open ocean East of Block Island is that it is an awesome sea boat. Very stable, no pounding, great ride.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Hmmmm, so the Striker c.c. is actually a steel hull true Striker? Interesting, haven't seen, nor heard of that one before...

Dug,
Allthough I'm not in Key West, and I don't have a offshore boat at this point in time, I would be remiss not to offer to take you out on the skiff. Late march is prime time to catch tarpon on the oceanside flats ( fly, or spin tackle ) I've got some really productive 'secret' bonefish flats, and have been punishing the snook in the creeks at night... The boat aint fancy, and neither am I, but all you'd need to bring is yourself and whatever you're drinking, I've got all the gear, and might even be inclined to whip up a fresh batch of conch salad for the day. Lemme know...

Mark
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Buju,

Strike is the small boat line of Striker. The Strikes are fiberglass & the Strikers are aluminum...
Br,

Patrick
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Buju

Post by Buju »

Yep, I understand that...(mistakenly thought the Strikers were a steel hull) But was wondering how it all played out.
Didn't Striker get started up by Tim Choate and then went belly up in the late 80's or early 90's? Then he started up the whole Artmarina fleet and Fins & Feathers around that time in C.America??
If so, then I'm guessing that Striker was sold at some point and kept on in very limited production, until they made the first glass Strike and formed Strike Yachts as a seperate entity.
Chances are, I'm wrong with all of this :-D but find it interesting. AND, were there any aluminum hull Striker C.C's made? Haven't ever heard about it, maybe a Strike prototype? Or maybe the boat was retrofitted to a C.C.?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

1966 - 1990 is the approximate time frame of the original Strikers, the 26 Strike was brought on line in 1977. Not sure who, when, or where ownerships were traded. I personally never liked the Striker. As an aluminum hull it was noisey & rattled like a beer can full of rocks backing down on a fish. You had to run your lines way back to even get a fish to bite. They were also very prone to rapid electrolysis & sinking if the bonding system wasn't in top notch condition.

There was a 58' in the yard at the same time I had a 46' Bert on the hill, back around '87. During the course of whatever they were doing they screwed up the electrical system & after putting the boat back in the water they were doing a 3 or 4 day finish up dockside. On the 3rd day the boat started leaking and bilge pumps were coming on too frequently so they re-hauled it. Numerous places on the bottom looked like they were turning to cheese cloth.

If they hadn't of caught it when they did, it'd have probably sunk that night...

Br,

Patrick
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
daydreams

Post by daydreams »

Hi everyone, I know nothing about a 30' Rybo But I know of a late 70's 31 - 33 SF striker. its a beautiful boat. The owner said he loves it but its hard and expensive to keep paint on it.
what good is a boat if you cant spend all your money and time you dont have working on it.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

They probably are the biggest boats in that class I have ever seen. There was one in our marina on the hard for over 5 years. At the end of that time, the boat was almost bare aluminum as you could hand peel the paint off it. As I understand it, painting aluminum is a very delicate thing and if not prepped and done properly, and in a timely manner, that's what happens. I was told that prepping and painting cannot be more than 24 hours from each other. It is a job for pros who have done aluminum boats before. Walter
Dug

Post by Dug »

Daydreams,

That might be her. Fun times..

Tom, you have got to be kidding! That is awesome!

Buju, I would love it if you would be willing!

Email me at bertraman@yahoo.com, and I will give you my cell, or maybe get your number, and we can talk about when would work best for you!

I haven't set up the charter yet, but plan to later today depending on schedule. I need to get on that...

Thanks!

Dug
Dug

Post by Dug »

Chris,

That was the boat! Too cool. John and I spoke a few times.

I have a picture of me at about 8 to 11 years old, standing in the cockpit, wearing a denim covered life jacket, proudly hoisting a little yellowfin tuna with all my might! It is hanging in my parents room.

Now you know how I caught that fishing bug!

Dug
Buju

Post by Buju »

Dug, email sent.

To avoid confusion it is from Cay Coatings Inc. and my name is Mark.....