refresh engine paint

Post by JohnCranston »

Reel Cowboy update,
All glass work done.
engine beds done and painted
entire boat painted
bottom paint done,
waiting on rub rail to be installed...probably within a week or so

Yanmars have been sitting around for 3 years since bought new, never used, and might need a little freshening up before being installed in a couple of weeks. Question is, can we spray paint directly over existing paint on engines, or do we need to prime them first? Even though I can't see it, I want my engine room looking good at the dock. I'll still need to rig her out, but, looks like the hard stuff is finally behind us but still alot of things to do.
Thanks for the help.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
randall

Post by randall »

if its not to bad a little clean up is all thats needed. remove all rust and scale, clean with brake cleaner (no residue) mask and paint. or you can go crazy like me and take off every external assembly , sand blast ,prime and paint....but thats excessive....and the engine i did in the boat looks the same from 3 feet away
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

John- from my experience, and based on the fact that these are new never run engines I would do takee least invasive, least labor intesive approach possible. ANytime you do something to these babies something could be damaged. The paint must still be good, just dirty. And blasting brand new engines is just asking for trouble.

Clean, brush, sand where required, and touch up with the right primer and paint is all I would do. That is great to hear that you will be in the water soon.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Factory paint sucks.

Like any paint job, prep is the key and majority of time put in. Make sure no dust or dirt, light scuff with a 3m pad, blow off with air and don't use any solvent cleaner sprays. Will lift the enamel paint right off. Then your really screwed.

They don't use a base primer like everyone else so if you see bare cast iron or aluminum, hit with zinc chromate and let dry before top coat.

Don't paint hoses, electrical ends or connectors and belts. Solvents in the paint attack and shorten the life.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Sand bare spots, Acid etch prime the rest and paint.

http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=SEP&dept=3
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31