removing windsheild from 20ft bertram

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bertram 20

removing windsheild from 20ft bertram

Post by bertram 20 »

I was wandering if any one had any info on taking the windsheild off of a 20ft Bahia mar i have removed all nuts except 2 they are loose still doesnt seem like it wants to budge.Its been there for 40 years now.I wanted to reseal glass, but now i am wandering if i dare try maybe asking for trouble.Any suggestions would be helpful.
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

I had a B20 Bahia Mar and do not recall issues removing the windshield.

Verify that all nuts have been removed (I think a few were 'hidden') and try using wedges to break the sealant between the windshield and the deck.

Keep working at it and it will move.

Ian.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

ianuptoa i will be removing my windshield on a 20 bertram moppie what i really need to know is the raised lip that is on the top of the gunnel is that common to moppie and baron?i am coverting a moppie to a baron and cannot find a picture of the gunnel area next to the railing on the port and starboard towards the stern,adjacent to the engine hatches of the baron.the moppie raised lip is about 11/4" and ends at the stern .thank you for any light you can shed on the subject-----------bob
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Bob,

Shoot me your email and I'll send you some pictures that will hopefully help.

Ian.
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Should have looked in your profile... email sent.

Ian.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Bob, on the one I have, I was always planning on using a chain saw, but a falling tree beat me do it. Maybe you could park yours next to a deadfall.
Just trying to help

Tim
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thanks a million the "rear threequater baron" picture tell me all that raised "lip" piece on the gunnel disapears to 0 at the stern and again toward the bow.i just wonder if all the bertram 20 decks are the same except the cut out for engine hatches on the baron???
tim is anything left of your baron like the hatch covers?
bertram 20

windshield b20

Post by bertram 20 »

ianupton wrote:I had a B20 Bahia Mar and do not recall issues removing the windshield.

Verify that all nuts have been removed (I think a few were 'hidden') and try using wedges to break the sealant between the windshield and the deck.

Keep working at it and it will move.

Ian.
when you got wind shield off what about taking frame apart i am afraid because you cant find this stuff should something break let me know thanks mike
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Bob I'll check, but unless it fell off the dump truck that was taking it to the chipper , I don't think so
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Bob- the Moppie/Baron conversion is a lot of work. But it will be neat to have a baron when she is completed. Good luck.
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

I never took the frame apart. I was planning on taking it to a windshield place that specializes in rebuilding boat windshields.

I fugured they would take it apart or use it as a pattern to make a new one and use the old uncracked glass.

Ian.
chris pague

windshield

Post by chris pague »

Just had my windshield and frame off and all apart. A three peice deal and the main section comes apart in four sections. I have made the elbo sections for the main frame as I broke one in the process of cleaning and polishing.
Chris
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Bob, the Baron has a much longer front deck. (the steering position is well aft of where the steering position is in a moppie) As a result the cockpit is quite a bit smaller than in the moppie. Why convert, why not go rescue an old Baron, they didn't make very many and it would be nice to see one restored rather than chopped up into something that it is not.

bob lico

Post by bob lico »

rocket this boat will belong to my son and he decided he wanted a baron.he allready owns the moppie so there no point selling a empty hull and look for a baron.this is a father son project and a chance to spent time with my grandchildren.i will give him a powerplant and he will do all the nasty labor like cutting the floor out removing the foam.iwas not aware of the moppie and the baron having differant deck lenths only aware of the hatch in the moppie.i will take a measurment of the moppie deck and post it and you can tell me the baron.i try to do a research of your previous posted pictures and could not find them.that shot of the deck in the garage is helpful thank you.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

No Problem Bob, sounds like a great Father - Son project! I'll measure up the deck today and post for you. Goos excuse to take the winter cover off.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Bob, some measurements for you:

Both taken at the centreline

Outside of transom to aft end of cockpit = 52.25"

Outside of transom to fwd end of cockpit (dash) = 132.5"

If you want more dimensions or specific pictures, let me know

Cheers,

Rod
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thank you that tells me the locations i need now just the width and lenth of the actual engine hatch covers.is there some kind of overlap piece for one to support the other?sorry rocket for the dumb questions but i never ever saw a baron but there are two sportman model in a fiberglass shop next to oakdale boat center.one has benn covered up for 25years.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Bob the cutout for the engine hatch is 42.125" x 48". There is a lip of 1.25" inside this cutout with a .25 " gutter that accepts the hatch flange. Both hatches are 41.875" x 23.75" with a 3" radius corner on the outboard side top and bottom. The inboard edge is basically a 90 rounded edge. The port hatch has the same 1.25" lip with gutter and closes first, supporting the stbd hatch. There is a .25" gap running evenely around the hatches. Here is an archived picture, I can take more tomorrow to clarify.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

rocket you have a museum piece.this has to be the finesh example of a baron in the world.take care of it some day it will be on exhibit i only hope our project can turn out half as good.thanks for the critical dimentions
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

what a beauty
chris pague

Baron clock

Post by chris pague »

Ron; Are you going to reuse the clock? Or do you know where I can get one?
Chris
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

It is yours for the asking - email me shipping instructions

rod@urbanimpact.com

Cheers,

Rod
chris pague

clock

Post by chris pague »

Rod. Tryed to email but they got kicked back? What ever I will take the clock and make a sandbox contribution. The clock is about the only part that I need and Red Baron should be complete.
The mailing info is
Chris Pague
2960 Hibbard St.
Oakton Va. 22124
Thanks Chris

Will post pics when done
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I'll ship it out before the weekend.
chris pague

clock

Post by chris pague »