Bow rail, pulpit, bow rail extension

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Face

Bow rail, pulpit, bow rail extension

Post by Face »

As many of you know I am working on restoring a B28. I have purchased and installed a bow pulpit from Glasstech. It fits perfectly and really looks good with the boat in fresh paint and coming back together. My question is, has anyone installed this pulpit with the bow rail addition? Any pictures?

My plan is to cut the old rail (port and starboard, it's 2 pieces), and then join the two pieces with set screws at the appropriate "T". I have also been told to join them internally with a smaller diameter tubing. Any recommendations? Experience?

Lastly, for anyone interested...If you need a B28 rub-rail kit, check out http://www.heavensbaymarine.com/index.html . They gave me a really good deal, I think. Originally $800 plus tax, picked up in Miami, Renee sold it to me for $750 plus tax. I hope this doesn't irritate him, but hopefully it will help someone here. And no, I am not affiliated with Heaven's Bay in anyway.
-Joe
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

I installed the Glass Tech pulpit on my B28 about 5 years ago. It fit very nicely, but I don't see how their rail extention could work. Too many variables unless you give them certain dimensions and they make it custom. My bow rail is aluminum and Glass Tech didn't offer an aluminum extension so I had a T-top shop make one to fit a "jig" that I made. I cut the existing rail a couple of inches from the nearest stantions and gave them the piece to use as a guide for what the new section needed to tie into. I used an insert of smaller diameter pipe to connect the new rail to the existing and 3/8" pop rivets on the bottom side. Just make sure your cuts are square so the joints are tight. Also, I installed an aluminum plate in the anchor locker to back up the carriage bolts holding the pulpit on. Make sure the bolts are sealed real well since there is a void between the pulpit and the deck. This first picture was take in preparation for Hurricane Katrina. Large line on port side connected to huge counterweight.

Eddy G.