Potential project boat

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

davidms

Potential project boat

Post by davidms »

I have been having an ongoing "discussion" with a guy who has a 31 in his yard on blocks. Boat's been there for years. Classic story - the guy used the boat for a while, thought about redoing it, ran out of money. There she sits. My question is: can the hull get damaged by sitting on blocks for an extended period of time?

Thanks,
David
scot

Post by scot »

Is the bottom well supported?....any supported ares appear "sunken" into the hull?....does it appear to be straight?

IMHO one of the most damaging things that can hapen to a hull is UV's attacking unprotected fiberglass. "If" the interior of the hull (non-gelcoated, panels & decking removed) is left exposed to the Sun the UV's will seriously damage the glass.

Gelcoat or paint's main function is to protect the raw fiberglass from the UV's. Also, unprotected epoxy resins degrade much faster than polyester resins BTW.

My point is that with enough time, energy or money warps and bows from poor support can be fixed in most cases....exposed fiberglass that has been eaten by UV's cannot be repaired.

BTW: To the man that owns the 31 Bahia Mar (left with nothing covering the interior of the hull for 10 years) in Port Arthur, Texas....shame on you.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0