how to remove a bow rrailing

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

daydreams

how to remove a bow rrailing

Post by daydreams »

Hi everyone, On my 28 I have repaired the cockpit deck, installed a new gas tank, repaired the bulkheads, installed new engine stringers, one new rudder shelf, rebuilt a hynautic steering piston, new bonding strip, etc. [I'm learning]. The fiberglass is weak under the bow railing [possibly from the rail banging against docks?]. The deck flexes when walked. I cant see the nuts, even the vberth has a fiberglass shroud covering. I am thinking about drilling 2" holes where needed and re-install the plugs when Im finished. Does anyone have a better idea or suggestion. Thanks Gary.
what good is a boat if you cant spend all your money and time you dont have working on it.
RussP

Post by RussP »

Drop the headliner and see whats going on under there. The chances are the balsa coring is wet and will need replacing.
RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
daydreams

Post by daydreams »

RussP, its the sides of the deck where the rail and cleats mounts that has the problem not the balsa area of the deck. Do you know how the fiberglass head liner drops?
what good is a boat if you cant spend all your money and time you dont have working on it.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I would not recommend this but a lot of years ago I launched my Chaparral to go fishing........shorthly there after the shift cable that goes down to the outdrive broke.

When you shifted the lever into forward position the gears would engage and off your go. When you move the lever into the netural position or reverse the outdrive would stay in forward position so you had to raise the engine cover reach down and pull the control back to the netural position.

Well by now you guys know where this is headed.......I came into the marina...........forgot about the cable........came right up to the dock.........moved the lever to tag reverse and apply some throttle to stop the boat........within seconds I removed part of the Bow Rail and s#*t my pants at the same time........we laughed for hours.........my buddys told me that the look on my face was worth thousands..........

Harry
hb
lore

Post by lore »

Hi daydreams, I have done this job in my B28. First, go in your v-berth cabin and remove the teak sticks above the carpet on the sides, then tear out a little the carpet. You will see the nuts that hold the bow rail. I found some of them corroded and falling apart. You have four bowrail holders on each side of your boat but you will access only six from the v-berth cabin. For the first ones you have to go in the main cabin and remove some panels. It will be vey difficult to unscrew some of them and probaby in some cases you will need to drill the bolts from the deck.
Face

Post by Face »

I removed the rail from my B28 in order to prep for paint. It's a 2 person job, but not that bad in my experience. I guess it will depend on the shape of your hardware. Do not drill any holes!!! This is unnecessary. Follow lore's advice.
daydreams

Post by daydreams »

Tanks for the info I will try it tomarrow. I cant do the glass till spring but I want to get ready.

Harry I can imagine what a scary ride that was. That [or similar] has always been a fear of mine.
daydreams

Post by daydreams »

When you look and feel the hull through the carpet it doesn't seem possible that enough room exists for the railing nuts to be accessible.
I pulled the carpet down today and you guys were 100% right.
Thanks again.