bottom paint

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Get another jack stand put it in close proximity to the one you need to move tighten it up and back off on the other one.
Then move and repeat.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

unless you can levitate the boat moving the stands is the only option.

if you levitate the boat shoot some video!
gplume

Post by gplume »

No problemo

Move the stands one at a time. Boat will sit fine with 3 while you move each one.

Bottom blocks. I bought a 10 ton bottle jack for relatively cheap moeny at a tool sale...I think about $30.00. Use your head and scope out how you are blocked, then pick a good spot to jack and move the blocking. It was easy...but go slow and methodically (think it out). One move I had to abort as the soft ground had the jack moving.

I did a compete strip, sand, coat and fill all poc marks and blisters, 4 coats of barrier, 1 marker coat, and 2 coats of bottom paint last year. When you build up you coats, offset them around obstcales like boat stands so you can seal each successive layer

For barrier coating....he stuff sets qucker than advertised. Make sure before you do the last coat, you are absolutely ready to go with bottom paint. I did my final coat in 2 stages to insure good adhesion

Have fun.
Giff
gplume

Post by gplume »

View of waht it looke like when i moved my blocking. Not the offset of each layer.Image
Giff
RussP

Post by RussP »

A word of caution. If you move the jackstands and blocks when the paint is wet, you stand a good chance of droping the boat. I only know this from experiance. Most boat yards want to move the stands them selves to avoid liabilty. Take the time and let the paint kick. You could jack up a 31 with the stands themselves and move the blocks, then move the stands one at a time. Put a piece of wax paper under the stand pad to avoid damagng the fresh paint when moved.

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

RussP wrote:A word of caution. If you move the jackstands and blocks when the paint is wet, you stand a good chance of droping the boat. I only know this from experiance. Most boat yards want to move the stands them selves to avoid liabilty. Take the time and let the paint kick. You could jack up a 31 with the stands themselves and move the blocks, then move the stands one at a time. Put a piece of wax paper under the stand pad to avoid damagng the fresh paint when moved.

RussP
That can't be a pleasant experience.....
RussP

Post by RussP »

Not my boat a friends and he was trying to bang it out in 1 day to save on yard fees. I became a human jack stand as he scrambeled to get the stand under the chine.
RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Human Jack stand that's not so funny.
Had a friend get caught under a travel lift when it decided to let gravity win. Needless to say the human jack stand stopped the boat only after it broke through his pelvic bone and landed firmly on the ground.
Make sure your bottom paint is dry. Not a bad idea to chain the jack stands so they can't spring apart either.
Have fun you crazy kids.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
gplume

Post by gplume »

Yup

Toatally on board with all comments respect to leting things totally dry. Thats why the offsets on each layer. I built everything up, including the top coats (not shown.) then let things totally dry before bringing up the spots that were covered by blocks and jack stands. You will need to sand thos spots to promote adhesion....(though I was in the 2 week interlux window, i was outside the botom paint window.)

Checked my jack in the garage...it was a 20 ton, not a 10 ton.

If you've ever had to jack up a house...its kind of the same program. Go slow and easy....and be ready to abort if things start to shift. Don't go wild ...jack, let it settle, jack. (My expereince from jacking up old houses replacing beams and sill plates.)

Always do one item at a time. That is move a stand, secure it...then move the next one. Don't try to do 2 at once.

On the blocks, be careful when coming back down that you don't have the stands set to tight. Just watch it....As far as i know, no boat is designed significant weight supported by just the jack stands.
Giff
randall

Post by randall »

we levitated walter's 20 to get the trailer out (trailer had a frozen wheel which made it more interesting) and re levitated it to put the trailer (freshly painted all wheels rolling) back.....sorry..no pictures