165 gallon tank question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

165 gallon tank question

Post by Kevin »

Does anyone know what the figures are for depth in inches for the quantity of fuel in the tank? With the shape of the tank it is difficult to determine. I just installed a direct fill in the tank next to the pick-up. I have 5 inches of fuel in the tank at rest. I know it is way too low but I plan on hualing the boat with fork lift next week. Also, at what point does the pick up become ineffective at pulling fuel out of the tank? I am guessing I must be close to that point but no issues yet.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Kevin-My 31 has a 160 tank and it ran out at about 152. I say that because at refill I put in that much. I would suspect that at 5" the length of the tank, you surely have more than enough to run to the fork lift. Walter
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Kevin,
Can't remember whether you have a gas or diesel boat, but if it is gas you don't want a fuel fill on top of the tank as fumes will accumulate in the bilge while fueling. Not as important with diesel but still not a capital idea. Don't think your insurance company will be thrilled.
My two cents worth.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Not worried about making it to the lift, definitely enough since it is close by.
Just wanted to see if any one figured out the correlations on a wood stick in what half a tank really is when there is 80 or so gallons in there.
It is a diesel boat. Also never installed a fuel gauge at this point so I guess the main reason I installed the flange and cap was to verify how much fuel I have and to check for debris. I still have the filler on the gunwhale.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Kevin,

Since you're at the very low end of the tank, pump out the remaining fuel into 5 gallon buckets & calculate how much fuel you have on hand. A 5 gallon bucket holds a little more than 5 gallons, so calibrate your buckets first.

Then when you refuel add only enough to to give you a quarter tank, (based on what the total capacity of the tank is), mark the stick, add to half full, mark and so on till full. Because of the physical tank design, your marks aren't going to all be at equal spacing. You should, however be able to subdivide the marks between two adjacent marks to get a closer reading throughout the stick if you want.

Br,

Patrick
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Yup, that about makes the most sense after hearing it put that way. Not sure why I didn't think of that. Grasshoppa still learning. Thanks
CaptDana

kevin-stick

Post by CaptDana »

Kevin-
When you get your stick made=- share the measurements on here--Easy enough to carry a backup stick. Just in case.
Capt Dana
Dana Bonney
CMP

Post by CMP »

I bought 2 of these http://www.cruzpro.com/tl25.html coupled with custom Wema tank x-ducers (about $60 each). Read about these and I think you'll be impressed. When you first fill your tank they "learn" the geometry and how many gallons the reading means at any given position of the float. I got mine from a distributor in CT...

CMP
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Will do. Probably be a few weeks though. Pulling the boat for some routine maintenance. Going to Colorado for a week on the 3rd!! I will check out the link also. Thanks guys