Do I need to use marine ply?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Do I need to use marine ply?

Post by John F. »

I'm making window frames for the side windows. The ply frames will be saturated with West, get a layer of cloth, and then faired. Do I need to use marine ply, or can I use the regular b/c ply from Home Depot I got to make templates out of?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

I wouldn't make side window frames from any plywood, but if you must, use only marine grade. I do use standard B/C exterior ply for certain things, (shelving, bulkheads, cabinetry, etc.), but just couldn't trust that plywood would hold up to the stresses that are associated with that part of the boat...

Does your plan include fiberglassing or just encapsulating with epoxy? Fixed glass or sliders?

Br,

Patrick
Last edited by CaptPatrick on Jan 22nd, '08, 03:25, edited 1 time in total.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
John F.

Post by John F. »

Capt. Patrick-

My side window frames were shot. I looked at my options.

The American Marine are nice, but I wasn't crazy about more aluminum on the boat, don't really like the large flange they use. Plus, I have side window covers of sunbrella that I like, and with that large flange there is no room for snaps above the window except back in the frame--I know ss snaps in an aluminum frame are a bad idea from the previous owner who had done that. Plus, after buying them, I'd have to figure out how to neatly paint them to match the front aluminum frames which I've repaired and will paint white.

Frameless seems like the way to go, but I don't want to paint the topsides yet.

Sooooo, I'm making frames out of ply. They're cut from a single piece of ply per side, and will be saturated with epoxy, then get a layer of cloth, then painted. They're made from 1/2" ply, and fit in the side opening. I think I'm going to cut another piece of 1/4" slightly larger than the 1/2" frame I made today, and epoxy that on the outside of the 1/2" to give me a small flange. Then, I'm going to cut another piece of 1/4" ply that matches on the outside of the 1/2" frame, but is bigger on the inside to give me a spot the mount the window. I know its heresy here, but I'm probably going to get the side windows cut from plastic (whatever they use for the curved fronts--lexan/plexi-the guy told me and I forgot). I'll trim in on the inside with another piece of 1/2" cut to match the 1/2" frame I made today. I figure the plastic won't break (I've seen a number of B31s with broken side windows), and I've seen plastic side windows on B31s (Hucklebuck for one) and they looked OK. Plus, its really cheap, and will be easy to replace.

That's the plan anyway--and I'm always open to suggestions. Thanks.

John