Annual Yanmar gathering

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

Annual Yanmar gathering

Post by Bruce »

Heading over to Tampa for the annual gather of Yanmar dealers.

Lots of important info supposed to be unleashed on us about the new BY series engines and other stuff in regards to 07 emissions.

Will report back with the straight poop for those who are looking to repower somewhere down the road.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Maybe the third times the charm.

Site seems to forget sign in and dumps my post so here goes again.

General info:
Mastry has implemented a National Marine dealer program which sets standards for both Mastry and its dealers.

This has resulted in a renew'd commitment from Mastry to its dealers both in attitude and tech support including massive inter and intranet connections and ecommerce for its dealers. Plus dealer co op programs to reward dealers who sell product.
This can only result in a better attitude toward the consumer as dealers realize that they will be treated much better than in the past.

The dealers in turn will have to maintain minimum standards or otherwise lose their dealerships.

This is really a good thing for all you guys in the Mastry area.
There were also reps from Mack Boring there as it seems the hatchet between the two distributors has been buried and all are working together with Yanmar to provide quality service.

A very refreshing attitude to say the least.

Product:
6LP/315
Piston, injector and pump redesign for better combustion for tier 2.
Will not change anything on the outside.

It will have a belt guard per CG specs. Seems the old head in the ceiling fan thing has caught up to marine.

My experience with belt guards has been so so. 50% get removed cause they won't allow proper engine install and also hide belt condition.
I don't like em, but then I don't stick my hand in a running engine so go figure.

4JH4 75-115hp
4 valve per cylinder head change and engine has industrial roots.

6LY3 - 380, 440, 480hp
New head with tuned chambers and 4 valves per cylinder.
2 stage injectors, pump and piston redesigns.

2 stage injectors have been tested and test quieter than common rail fuel systems.

Gen3/can buss electronic controls.

BY series
4 cyl 150/180hp 2 liter 600lbs
6cyl 220/260hp 3 liter 700lbs

Electronic injectors/common rail
4000 rpm
Gen3 Can /buss controls
150a alt.
Bosch engine management system.
12 degree block angle.

Visual impressions:
Looks like a car engine with the top plastic cover off. Very compact.

Things I don't like but may not be a problem.

Dry turbo and exhaust pipe from manifold to turbo. Being so compact any break down in the blanket could be a problem.

Some items may be tough to see and get to in a tight install.

A little tougher to work on being everything is compact like a car or truck compartment.

Good points
As quiet as a gas engine. Very impressive.
Good throttle response.

Comments:
The 6lp was poo poo'd by many people as junk. But turned out to be an extremly popular engine both as a repower and OEM install.

Only time will tell how well the engine holds up against corrosion.
With Yanmar involved, BMW's design should be much better than the BMW/Merc combination many years ago.

Yanmar also seems to want to get a market share in the stern drive arena. Volvo has over 50% of the diesel/sterndrive oem and repower.
This engine would meet that spec.

Volvo though is almost giving away the farm to gain market at this point.

They did not give any confirmed prices as the engine really won't be available till November so they say.
I'll let you know pricing as I get it.

Some comments on controls.

The Yanmar/Teleflex and Cummins/Merc smart craft use the J1939 protocols.
This system while electronic, uses multiple wires for signals and can lead to large harnasses and multiple computer and junction boxes for operation. Programming the system can be tedious.

Yanmar Gen3 and Volvo common rail use Can Buss(controller area network) or fly by wire systems.
This uses the NEMA 2000 protocols and like a computer network system uses one wire that loops to each piece of equipment and/or nav electronics.

The system sends out an address and command. When the address finds the piece of equipment it was assigned to, it then executes the command. The system also programs itself upon setup for an easier install.

An option for Yanmar is a key switch with a small pot. If the computer fails this pot controls the throttle up to full for a get home feature.

The can/buss controls can be set to 25% full range which will give a much more precise throttle control for trolling.

It will display maintenance alarms reminding you of service times.

Thats about it.
If you have questions, feel free to post.