Bertram Crazy

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Brewster Minton

Bertram Crazy

Post by Brewster Minton »

I think I have a problem. I think about my Bertram 31 all the time. I lay in bed at night and think about trolling 10 rods and the feel of the hull pushing though 3-5 footers. I think what I could do next to make it better. I think about maybe too much. Is it just me? Do you guys think about your Berts all the time?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Brewster
Think you need BA.
Hello, my names Brewster and I'm a Bertram Addict.
Did you just hear a huge unison , "Hello Brewster."?
You ain't alone, pal.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

It aint just Bertrams......Mine is a 31Tiara......just a different drug.
Lots of projects have been succesfully started and designed in pajamas.
Kill Em All ......Let God Sort Em Out
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

I do the same thing. I've layed in bed at night or early morning just thinking about a problem I'm having with a Bertram project and eventually I'll solve it without getting my hands dirty until I put the fully executed plan that I worked out in my head to work. I also daydream about other projects to start or what else could I do. It's addictive I think. I've amaized my self at times.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Hell last night I had a dream I some business in LA so I had my boat shipped their so I could do some fishing when I was not working. Sick
randall

Post by randall »

just curious brewster...what would you do next to "make it better".....BTW...i dont work on her all winter so in the early spring im full of ideas and raring to go
scot

Post by scot »

Same here.

With one undergoing a major re-construction it is all I can do to function at work. Countless hours mentally working through every little detail. It takes me a year to know how I want the boat to end up, almost passed that phase...I think. sick, sick, sick.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Charlie,
LA?
Los Angeles
or
Looooosiana
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
RussP

Post by RussP »

Brewester head on down. We went out for a cruise yesterday and heading back down to Marathon next week. The Sails are just starting to move in and the Snapper Grouper bight has been pretty good.
RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I lay in bed at night and think about trolling 10 rods and the feel of the hull pushing though 3-5 footers.
No wonder I get dirty looks from customers when I say, it's just a damn boat.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Looooosiana
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Whew!
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Yeah it only got up to 75 today...
And only thing we gettin around here is these crawlers...

In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Wayne - man I can drool over that spiney....when I was going to San Diego about 3 times a month on business for years, we used to hang out at the Fish Market restaurant in downtown on the waterfront.....real popular place, always had to wait for a table till we figured out a little secret - they would let you sit at the bar upstairs where the open kitchen was and the cooks would give you free appitizers while you sat there. And you could order dinner right there and eat at the bar.....during spiney lobster season I was there every night....they would take a big spiney (not as big as the one you show, but still plenty big), whack it down the middle live, baste the meat side with lemon, butter and garlic (Cooass West?) and grill it on a mesquite fire......the Pacific spiney lobster is the best on earth...I miss those times now that I'm retired...but getting there and back, and being Uncle's human torpedo while there I don't miss.

Florida spiney lobsters (and the ones we used to get at PE from Stan and Crazy Xtreme Al) are just about as good if cut and cooked right.

Speaking of winter, it never broke over 45 degrees in Coonassland today, had a big fire in the fireplace all day. The bird bath by the driveway froze solid last nite. Supposed to warm up to the high 60's during the week, then me & the Bride are going on our annual anti-Q trip to Miami Beach week after next, leave winter behind.

UV
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Gentlemen! ! ! !

[Mikey wrote]
Charlie,
LA?
Los Angeles
or
Looooosiana[/quote]

"LA" is more commonly known as "LOWER ALABAMA"
and tonight its damn cold here............Jo Ann and I just came in from an evening out and at 8:00 PM its already 32 degrees.

I pretty much know what I am doing with DeNada and I have dreamed about it just like Brewester described...........right now I just need some warm weather so I can do some fiberglass work.

And yes I am obsessed with my repower project.........what little progress I have made sure looks good.

I'll be Dreamin on
Harry
hb
CaptDana

Brewster-berts' Bob Montgomery

Post by CaptDana »

Brewster- It's "THE' sickness. I have it too- I've had it for 30 years--late november in 1978 as a kid in 5th grade I went fishing on a 31 bertram out of Key West. My dad took me on the charter trip-just the 2 of us. The boat was the Blue Runner II and the Captain - Bob Montgomery. (at that time I did not realize I was fishing with one of the innovators of light line fishing in the Keys) We had a 25 Nova that we fished in the gulf off of Louisiana --the night before our first trip out of Key West--we pulled up to Garrison Bight and my dad brought me down to the charterboat- He told me that the boat was a BERTRAM --31 Bertram. I could tell by his actions that this must be a fishing machine. I was in awe- the tall tuna tower-the huge deck-- I couldn't wait til the next day. We fished some rough water--rocking back and forth -Pompanette chairs sliding . We fished sails for 3 days and I will never forget my dad's first sail- As I type- that sail is on the wall above my PC-- My dad continued fishing with Bob over the next couple years and winning the Key West sailfishing tournaments with him. Fast forward to 1984- my dad is transfered to the mid west and we start charterfishing on Lake Michigan--the boat a 28 Bertram--I purchased the boat and biz in the early 90's and this year will be my 24th year on the 28. I love working on it during the blustery winters- redoing every system--tearing it apart-- and putting it together. I should have my 28 finished this spring and I have bought a 25 as my next project--with my eye looking for a 31. There will ALWAYS be a BERT with me.
Dana Bonney
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

I had an INTERVENTION five yrs ago for my addictoin. It didn't work.
A/K/A El Gaupo
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

My fathers addiction came in 1975. Unfortunately he passed it on to me. All I keep thinking about is how do I get more time for it. Tony Meola
JK

Post by JK »

Come to think of it some of the first memories I have of boating are going with my Dad and buddies on a 31 Bertram "Prime Time" out of Lewes, DE. Now I have a never ending to do list and spend my time thinking adding sound down, maybe a stereo and a lot of odds and ends. Although the boat is for sale so it if sells the projects come to an end.

--JK

www.seanile31.com
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

sometimes i just look at a impossible device spacing problem and walk away or perhaps look at one of the 1200 boats here and come up with a idea like the new problem ;how do i put a 900 raccor,wash down pump baitwell pump and generator raw water pickup and filter in a 2' x 2' area (under the foward hatch cover on the cockpit floor) keeping in mind i have to be able to operate the handle on the bronze thru hull valve.this is as tight a fit as the two 2" raw water intakes with valves and two 1" "crash vavles"all in bronze of course,a nightmare finding bronze nipples today.

nic

Post by nic »

Bob,

I suggest a manifold could be a fix.

Brewster,

All the time. I met a 31 owner from Seattle yesterday, he upped from his table at a waterfront restaurant and came down the dock to say hello when we pulled in for ice. I got him on board and was heading off when he yelled out "my wife's back at the restaurant"...sure enough she gave us a wave from her table... nice guy and I am NOT saying he forgot about his wife when he saw a 31 but he seemed to share our affliction. He took photos and all, he might post them so I'm getting in first.....yesterday was Australia Day....I may have been tipsy.

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
Bertram Joe

Bertram Crazy

Post by Bertram Joe »

Another 30-60 days until my B31 is ready. Can't wait.
Bertram Joe