Calling Bruce or other resolve

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Chris Frank L.D.S.

Calling Bruce or other resolve

Post by Chris Frank L.D.S. »

While fishing on an older post I noticed a transmission pressure gauge. I've never seen one before. Why is it there?
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Have these on the 32 Blackfin with 3208s. My dad added them after he burnt up a transmission on her once years ago .
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

LDS - it's to tell you that you have high pressure on the gear which makes it shift.....the real practical reason is when it goes way down your gear is out of oil and is about to burn up......good news is on most gears, ZF, TD, etc, the clutch plates will start slipping when its losing oil to warn you before you burn it up...I've busted a couple of gear cooler hoses over the years on AJ with no apparent damage....it will tell you plenty soon there is a problem.

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

On old twin disc or Allison gears for that matter, it was handy to let you know the transmission was doing something 10 minutes after you put it in gear.

Modern standard duty gear boxes don't need them. Very rare does a pressure guage indicate a problem allowing you to shut down the gear to prevent problems. For that matter most failures of gears are the clutches and in most of those cases the pressure reading won't indicate a problem.

You'll notice your not moving before you'd see a guage problem.

The biggest gear killer is high rpm shifting. You'll be amazed how quickly shifting above 750 rpm or the quick fwd to reverse shift will kill a gear.

Panic shifting or the quick don't let the gear know what position your in shift, creates 85% of my gear repairs.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

The #1 modern day use for transmission pressure gauges is trolling valves. Use them to determine speeds for different conditions. For example 75lbs for 2.5 kts.
Without the gauge its hunt and peck. It also nice to look down and be sure you have engauged the gears upon completion of a days fishing using said trolling valve.
Plus they give you an excuse to blow another hole in the dash and run more wires for lights, yeah.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Plus they give you an excuse to blow another hole in the dash and run more wires for lights, yeah.
I like the way you think son
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I have them and like them. I guess they tell me that it is working.