Honda Engine Problem

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Honda Engine Problem

Post by Harry Babb »

Recently my daughters Honda Accord started getting oil in the coolant....thats engine oil in the radiator. She took it to an auto repair shop and they removed the head, pressure checked it, resurfaced it and then reassembled the engine.

They drove the car for about a month and the cooling system once again accumalated enough engine oil to cause the engine to start overheating.

This time I decided to get involved.......trying to save them some money.

We removed the engine and disassembled it completely down to the bare block. I pressure checked the oil system......100 pounds of shop air pressure and heated the block up with a rose bud........no apparent leaks. I pressure checked the head......100 PSI, heated it up......no apparent leaks.

I sent the block and head to a machine shop they resurfaced the head and block, the block was out of flatness .005". I think they just resurfaced the head as a precautionary exercise.

I then reassembled the engine taking the utmost care to properly assemble the head and head gasket. The head gasket is a MLS gasket (Multi Layer Steel)

Today the engine failed again after being driven 200 miles......oil in the cooling system.

By the way...this engine DOES NOT have an oil cooler.

I have always had to greatest respect for Honda equipment (and still do) but this problem has me stumped. Right now it looks like total engine replacment time.......I have done everything that I know how to do

If you guys have any ideas I would certainly appreciate the help.

Harry
hb
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Let the gas line run on the engine and light a match to see it.

UV, the smart ass retired person
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Vic
There are times that I wish I had the courage to do things like that......but that would haunt my feeble little mind that I could not figure out the problem.

Tonight, feeling somewhat down I called the suicide hotline....some guy from Pakastan answered the call......he acted really excited to hear from me and asked if I could drive a truck.......??????

Harry
hb
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I suspect a block crack. About the only way you'll get oil in the coolant on that engine after doing the head gasket routine numerous times.

Never saw a bad head gasket that wasn't easy to spot.

You won't be able to heat the block enough with a rose bud to check. I suspect if it takes a couple hundred miles to show up, its a small crack.