Depth Sounder/Transducer for Raymarine C120

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

dougl33

Depth Sounder/Transducer for Raymarine C120

Post by dougl33 »

I am planning on getting one of Raymarine's depth-sounder modules and transducers this winter to install this spring on my Raymarine C120.

Raymarine has a new module, the DSM30. Its a 600W module that is for use with 12v systems only:

http://www.raymarine.com/ProductDetail. ... ODUCT=4125

The transducer I'm thinking of is the 600 Watt Bronze through hull transducer with depth, speed, and temperature (B744V). It includes the high speed fairing block:

http://www.raymarine.com/ProductDetail. ... ODUCT=3065

The best prices I've seen online are right around $415 for the module and $300 for the transducer and fairing block.

I am already married to the Raymarine, so the only question is whether or not the module and transducer are the right applications.

While I don't fish, I'm looking to save space on my dash. Also, I'm really not interested in a shoot through transducer.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Regards,

Doug L.
Dug

Post by Dug »

If you don't fish, you are only looking to determine depth. You should be fine.

I would call Spicers in Noank, CT. They really have the best prices consistently. Ask to speak with Paul.

860-536-4978

No tax if you ship outside of CT.

Dug
Capt. Mike Holmes

Ray C120

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

I bought a C120 not that long ago, went with an older 1000 watt bronze 'ducer I was able to get from West marien for $245 (wholesale account). I made my own fairing block, and not nearly as long as the "high speed" models, and I can read bottom well at over 17 knots.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
nic

Post by nic »

I was very unimpressed with the "fairing block" and threw that piece of plastic out. Extra time and effort went into an integral fibreglass fairing block that can take a hit. I think the placement is crucial, away from the strakes, low down, accessible from the inside but high enough from the center not to be affected by hauling out. Everything worked and we read at full speed.

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"