New world record 190 Marlin caught in one day!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

New world record 190 Marlin caught in one day!

Post by MarkS »

What a bite! We were there in Oct. just before the Bisbee (kingfish and I) little did we know the bite we experienced which was great IMHO was to get way better. Unbelievable.

Cabo San Lucas Mexico, 9th Dec 2007 - Mini WCBRT Results and New World Records Set

Cabo considered the Striped Marlin Capital of the World by knowledgable blue water anglers, was certainly not disapointing as world records were shattered in numerous catagories! This tournament was designed by fisherman to be a tournament "For fishermen by fishermen". The Mini WCBRT Dec 7th & 8th was introduced after the prestigious WCBRT three day all circle hook May event, being a 100% catch-and-release tournament.

The Mini WCBRT was designed to take advantage of Cabo's most productive time for stripped marlin. And it was a huge success! The team average for the two day tournament was a mind blowing 231.4 fish per boat. With the high individual angler catching 59 marlin
in one day. More than most serious marlin fisherman will catch in a life time. All the marlin were released!

The WCBRT tournament produced more released striped marlin ever in the history of a money tournament worldwide all on circle hooks.

The World Championship Billfish Tournament www.wcbrt.com is an IGFA qualifying event. The WCBRT has again proven and leads the way for other billfish tournaments by putting on a circle hook only, 100%, "No Muerto" ( No Kill) release money tournament in Mexico.
The 2007 December 7th & 8th Mini WCBRT produced an amazing record setting 1157 billfish released for 2 days for an average of 115.7 marlin released per boat per day ! Team Reelaxe recently set a World record of 179 marlin released in a single day November 3rd, 2007 shattering this record in the tournament by releasing 190 striped marlin on day two of the tournament setting a NEW WORLD RECORD. Another tournament world record was set for the most released marlin in a single day in any tournament by a single team and the most released striped marlin combined for the tournament 1157 for 5 teams.

The New World record 190 striped marlin was captured on the Reelaxe's 8 boat camera's,underwater camera's and by video of the tournament camera crew filming onboard Reelaxe on day two. Team Reelaxe was - Chris Badsey, Dave Brackmann, Steve Brackmann, Alex Rogers, Jose Espanoza , Mark Clayton, Saul Contrearus, Dennis Poulton. Top angler was Reelaxe angler Jose Esponoza with a personal best and tournament record of 59 released stripped
marlin in a single day.

Team Reelaxe released a total of 330 striped marlin in the two day tournament setting another tournament record for a single team in two days.

With IGFA qualified observers and WCBRT observers aboard tournament boats, the catches were photographed and documented and filmed with video camera's including the tournament hired independent video camera crew documenting all released fish at the boat in accordance with the IGFA and WCBRT rules. Observers were randomly assigned to boats on day one and then the top 3 teams on day 2 carried an observer on board their boats.

Day one official results :

Reelaxe 140 releases
Get Over it 139 releases
Tenacious 91 releases
Bull Rider 79 releases
Cabo Villa 49 releases

Day Two official results:
Reelaxe 190 releases
Get Over It 189 releases
Tenacious 103 releases
Cabo Villa 89 releases
Bull Rider 88 releases

Final Results:
1st Place Team Reelaxe 330 releases
2nd Place Team Get Over It 328 releases
3rd Place Team Tenacious 194 releases

The 2008 May 17th - 21st WCBRT will once again follow on the heels of the IGFA tournament. Stay up to date on the 2008 WCBRT through www.wcbrt.com
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

Hey Mark,

It's amazing the #1 and #2 teams were 2 fish apart in the final results.

Kind a like our tourny. LOL

Have a good one brother!

By the way, whats this I hear your headed to Virgina Beach?
Jim
1975 28 FBC
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Hey Jim,
I thought you would get a kick out of this. Can you imagine how crazy that must have been? Terry was there as an observer on the second place boat, "get over it" and said he had to stand on the flybridge and allow and disallow fish because they were calling out "leader" so fast he couldn't have run from the bow to the stern quick enough to get a look! Two anglers on the bow and two in the cockpit. He said some of the hookups were no more than 10 seconds. Personally I think that takes a little fun out of the fight? It was a total numbers game and not much for sport, I guess, but what a sight, endless baitballs and birds dropping in and fins slashing and fish free jumping! Would have loved to been drinking there!

Yes, Rockfish mid Jan. with the merchant, should be fun.

All the best my friend,
Mark

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Glad no one had a heart attack from all that reeling!! Good Lord!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Rawleigh,
I'm sure it was a workout, but most of those fish were caught way green and horsed in, and with a 30 ft leader and a couple of cranks,......well?

There is a picture on Bloodydecks.com of a bill busted off in a Tuna tube which sort of speaks to the green fish boatside issue.

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/baja- ... -crew.html

AndreF

Post by AndreF »

We left Cabo right when that bite started, Nov 1 or so. Renegade Mike fished it the day we left and caught a bunch too.
He refurbished a 31 on a first class level. We were his first charter.
Renegade Mike charters in Cabo. He's been on the board alot.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

Andre I brought a bag full of GOLD reels down to Mike in Oct. Had too transport them around on wheeled luggage carrier because of the weight. 50W's-30W's you name it, it was in the bag.

I was very relieved when Mike picked them up at the hotel. Didn't want to lose that baggage.
Jim
1975 28 FBC
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

Mark, have a great rock hunting trip!

Tell the merchant hello for me.

Have a Merry Xmas and a great New Year my friend.
Jim
1975 28 FBC
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

A buddy of mine was fishing the same pods of fish with these guys. They were fishing the finger bank off of Cabo. He said he has never seen anything like it. The marlin were like ants, there were sea lions, whales and whale sharks in the mix.

He said the winning boats were using 30' leaders and hauling a$$ after the fish as soon as they were hooked. They would grab the leader and pop the it within a couple of minutes of hooking the fish. Not too gameing, but I'm sure it was fun to watch.

JR
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Kingfish,
Will do on the howdy to Jim and Merry Christmas my friend!

Jack,
When we were there in Oct. We were in a little bragging rights only tourney, we ended up taking second place out of 5 boats (4 man teams) we saw sailfish, sea turtles, whales and lots of bait and Marlin swirling. We fished with Redrum charters, although they only have one 31 Bertram and it wasn't in the water at the time, they had crews that truely kicked some serious a$$. We were on the fish and chased them from bait ball to bait ball and I thought that was intense! Bumper boats at it's finest! Anything over 33' had trouble getting in on the action. What a gas! I am sure Kingfish would agree, a tour worth being part of.

All the best,
Mark

Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

Mark is right on about the bumper boats, what a hoot !!
I think the crews had there own tourny going to see how could cut one another off. If anyone is interested we're going to do this again in Oct. 2008.

Jim
1975 28 FBC