Clean Diesel now coming to fuel depot near you

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ed c.

Clean Diesel now coming to fuel depot near you

Post by ed c. »

Clean diesel is now entering the delivery system. The sulfur in the oil we now use emits 500 parts per million. The clean diesel will emit only 15 parts per million so they say.What does this mean? The fuel will cost between 5 & 30 cents more per gallon.There is an article about this fuel in the NY Post on page 34.Refiners started making this diesel oil in June and this new fuel must account for 80% of their production over the next 12 months. I hope there are no hidden bad things in this brew.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

The bad news is the large reduction in lubricity in ULSD that will wear injectors and injector pumps. The sulfer removal process has as a side effect the removal of a lot of the lubricating esters from the diesel. Use an additive such as Stanadynes or Power Service or add as little as 2% Biodiesel.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Capt. Mike Holmes

New diesel

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

There are signs at the service station diesel pumps saying it will be agianst the law to use the current fuel in 2007 diesel vehicles. The company I work for has no hope of meeting those sulfur specs anytime soon, that's one of our hottest research projects.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The Post is one step up from the Star, or the National Inquier.

After reading the article, it is less about specific information concerning the new regulations and more about his failed attempt at humor and sensationalism.

This is why American journalism SUCKS!

Will this effect off road fuel as well?

Mike,
Are they still using hydrotreating to remove the Sulfur?

Everyone with a diesel should be using an additive anyway.

It WILL pay for itself in less maintenance, longer life on components, better fuel economy, cleaner burning, better performance.

It is not however a mechanic in a bottle.
I however am.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Bruce-Which additive do you recommend for the Cummins B series? Walter
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The additive I've been using for a long time is Standyne's.
Others may work, but I know this stuff is good.

It was recomended by the company that has done my Injectors, pumps and turbos. They see what crappy fuel can do.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Stanadyne makes the pumps so they ought to know.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
JC

Post by JC »

Has anybody used the RacorDiesel fuel additive. Its the only kind I have found...

JC
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

bruce
would you recomend standynes for the yanmars also
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

All diesels.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Reducing sulfur

Bruce,

Yeah, hydrotreating, and various catalyst changes to try to increase the effectiveness. Heads will probably roll before this project craps out. Me, I don't care about that, gave notice Tuesday that September 30 is my last day as a corporate slave.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

I have been using an additive since day one,and have had no problems at all (knock wood)I forget the manufacture i think maybe FFP...i'll check and let you guys know. I know it boosts the Cetane among other things , it was highly recomended by my Yanmar guy
Harv

Post by Harv »

I saw a sign on a diesel pump at a station here the other day about the new fuel not to be used in 2007 vehicles. If this is the wave of the future than why can't it go in new diesel vehicles? Doesn't make any sense to me.
Harv
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

A friend of mine has a 42 ft Ocean w/3208 Cats. He is using the frying oil from Chinese food places and says it's great. His buddy puts it in his fleet of delivery truck and has cut his fuel bill from $2500 to $800 a month.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

The glycerine in the oil will eventually kill his injectors, plus there is no telling what is in used cooking oil without testing it. Some of the fryer cleaning agents are death on engines!! It can be converted into biodiesel by transesterfication to remove the glycerine.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Capt. Mike Holmes

Low, low sulfur diesel

Talked to one of our hydrotreating guys today. he said they have gotten down to 5 ppm in the lab. 15 ppm sulfur diesel is in the pipelines now, will be in the stations soon. The low lubrivity will likely damage older engines (2006 and earlier). This guy is recommending the refinery add biodiesel to fight this problem, doesn't think it will happen. Good news is offroad diesel - like for marine use - will still be the current 500 ppm level. I would expect the additive business to boom.