a boat, is it worth it?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

hubris 1

a boat, is it worth it?

Post by hubris 1 »

i gotta tell you my opinion, for the last two year's all i have done is work on my boat. changed everything in the boat including the engines. i totally re-did the entire boat. fishing trip's i thought i would make....cancelled. not ready. this past september it was finally done and i put it up for sale. when i did that if a buyer came along it would have been gone, but the market isn't there. yesterday....i took the boat off the market. what was i thinking? i spent every night in bed thinking about my decision. finally my girlfriend would say "roll over, i'm cold" and i would drift to sleep thinking about the boat. all the fun times hearing the line pop from the rigger,ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! the boat has never been more perfect. brand new cat's, interior, thank's to holtz boat work's, electronic's are new 2006. i look forward to a new season, with re-newed energy! and a new 20 year old boat. c,mon......we are all in the same boat. we love to fix it as much as fish it. that's why they all are old enough to drink in any state. i'm talking about the boat. i have seen a number of guy's on here talk about selling the boat, other's talk about giving it away to someone that appreciates it as much as he does. with that in mind....i'm keeping "HUBRIS" if for no other reason than we need each other. i can't sleep without her, and she need's something fixed, eventually. who will do this, if not me? with that in mind i say to all those that have the winter blues and thinking of selling.........go to bed and dream about it. call me in the morning! thank's.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

That's a wonderful story........I can remember a couple of times when I was covered with fiberglass dust.........deeply aggravated........feeling down and out..........I actually said... and I quote "Sometimes I wish I had never seen this SOB"

Well now I am here to tell you DeNada is in total shambles and I am more pumped than ever before........Last night I laid awake for some time thinking about a particular fishing trip that I intend to make this upcoming summer and that is to fish all day and at sunset I want to end up at a drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico called the Patronis (spelling???) about 80 off shore...........run the AC..........sleep a little.........and fish for Yellow Fin Tuna, off and on thru the night then, at day break start a high speed run back to the river to clean and cook fish at the boathouse.

With that in mind I will be out early tomorrow morning beating on that ole boat again geting ready for this upcoming summer

Hang in there BROTHER

Harry
hb
Harv

Post by Harv »

Same situation here, only times 2. Before reinjuring my back, I had started pulling the old deck on my center console. Had a brand new enclosure made, was feeling gung ho and bam. There she sat nothing more done. Now she is covered and put to sleep for the winter. My bahia mar, now sits with no iron in her belly. Both motors are out, and she will be wrapped and put to sleep as well. I can only hope my injury heals so I can get back to the nitty gritty and splash at least one or both of them for next season....and get back to work.
Harv
charlie falkenstein

Post by charlie falkenstein »

know the feeling,my project started last october,was supposed to be in by memorial day didnt splash til first week in august. first trip out got a small blue marlin (approx 100 lbs) at the lindenkohl on a spinnig rod with 20 lb test that we had out with a small red feather as we had just picked up 4 small mahi. after backing down hard and watching this blue greyhound a few times we got it to the boat and released it i knew by the feeling in my gut i made the right decision,OH WHAT A FEELING!

WOULDNT TRADE OR SELL MY BERT. FOR THE WORLD!
good luck,to bad the season is so damn short up here in jersey
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I agree with all that has been said. I wonder why then once she's in the water I know why. Tony Meola
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i just put my baby to sleep for the winter.actually for me it is a good thing i can make the improvments i have planned all year and can sometimes disassemble driveline parts that i can only do on the hard.this years project is to copy the everglades manifold with a 11/2"thruhole into a stainless manifold from there many "takeoffs" with shaft type bilge pumps inserted into the manifold for salt water wash down,livewell,kill box waterfill,ac cooling water,etc.winter is no big deal in the boatyard with heat and light in the boat and shrink wraped.best part of owning a 31 bertram is going to the boat show with a attitude "i own the best of the best so save your speech for a novice"

Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

We talk about a lot of stuff here on B31 but this post really hit a nerve with me.........I, like the rest of you guys, have spent my life dedicated to my family.

My daughter, Angie and my son Chris, spent a lot of unforgetable hours with me in the Gulf and Mobile bay in my younger days.

The story has changed only slightly.........

This is what makes it worth it.........Me and my 11 year old grandson fighting what Alan thought was Moby Dick. The picture was actually taken last May........by the way on the other end of that rod is a small shark.

You can't put a price on this guys

[img][img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289 ... C00047.jpg[/img]

Harry[/img]
hb
hubris 1

harvey, hav, charlie, tony, bob,

Post by hubris 1 »

hope i remembered everyone. that's what i mean. bob.... that boat is beautiful! when you step on that boat in the spring, what else matters? i am so glad i thought about it. it's a way of life. thank's........
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

harry you and jp absolutely have your act together that feeling with your grandson and jp with son is better than all the riches in the world!!!
been there seen that and that is what life is all about.
hubris 1

Post by hubris 1 »

harry, that's the best! that is what i'm thinking. i'm glad i took it off the market...........i need the boat, not the money!
Harv

Post by Harv »

hubris 1 wrote:harry, that's the best! that is what i'm thinking. i'm glad i took it off the market...........i need the boat, not the money!
My feeling is ...you can always make the money.
You can't always find a 31 set up the way you want it.
Harv
charlie falkenstein

Post by charlie falkenstein »

hubris1 you hit a nerve what passion is out there for our 31s'
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Spent the last 12 years rebuilding my 31 enough to go the next season. It has been one of my loves. With over 400 trips to the canyons fishing with friends and family and crew my 31 has paid me more than I paid in great times and experiences. It is part of my life. 4 years ago my son Wickes was born and this year he will start to go offshore. He looked at the 31 for the first time and said " Thats Wickes boat dad". I had not told him as we walked down the dock that was my boat. It was a happy day and a proud day to be dad. He has great taste in boats I think.(I was glad he did not point at a Hatt). I look forward to hundreds of trips with him and what other boat could handle this great task? A boat made in 1966? You bet. A 31 Bertram!! The LEGEND. Its all about time spent with family and friends on the water. I am so lucky to have this 31 Bertram. Its never for sale!! It goes to my son.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

great story brew i put my 31 in a trust fund not for my son whom i know would never sell it,i said better yet the 31 title went in my 3 year old grandson`s name.phoenix will be in family for 18years at least.gavin is the sole survior of a male with lico as last name.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Is a boat worth it?...No probaly not, but owning my B31, I could not put a price on the times offshore fishing, or just having boating fun, camping out on my B31 for the past 20yrs with my Family, Son, Daughter, Dad & Mom, Brothers, Friends, just like everybody has said on this post. So splash the hole in the water a little deeper because owning a B31 just does something to you. And I hope that day never comes that I have to say, ( SELL IT), because there has also been so much energy & time invested also to go with all that money we all throw in that BIG HOLE in the water. But let the GOOD TIMES RIDE ON! Hell...I'm taking my boat to Venice at the end of the month for winter fishing, I can't wait for that to happen, just like yall said, dreaming at night in bed about it.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I realize we are all partial to our 31's, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter what boat you own, its just a great way of spending quality time with the family. The kids can't run from us, no distractions and somehow a bond is created.

A friend of mine who just retired, finally got his first boat. After a number of years of being a part time mate he decided now was the time. Well, he took his wife of many years fishing for the first time. Figured they would probably kill each other before the days end. But as he admits, they had a great time together and now look forward to more days enjoying the boat and fishing together.

Lucky for me, my wife has always enjoyed it and I think that has only helped our relationship continue to grow, especially as I go through this repower project.

Yes its our beloved boat that brings us all together, but its the enjoyment and relationships it helps create with our families and friends that makes it all worth while. Tony Meola
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Great posts everybody. Thanks.
DQ, I'm still at Cypress Cove. Come by if you see us.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Andre,

Will do, should be trying to bring the boat over about the 28th or 29th of Dec. if weather permits, Andy Kline's new Topaz is docked behind me over at Venice Marina. I'll be docked behind David Massey camp which is right next to Mr. Keets camp at Venice Marina.

R,
DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!