All done for the winter

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Chiles

All done for the winter

Post by Chiles »

Hey guys,
It's been a while since I have checked in. The B26 is all put away for the winter. I got to user her a total of 4 times this year. What a waste, but I guess I did save a lot of fuel dollars. The rotary engines are still running strong, although only about 80 hours total on them each.

I hope you all had a good 2007 and I'm looking forward to catching up.

Chiles

(Timmy started it)
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

I guess one the rewards for putting up with 95 deg summers and hurricanes here in Louisiana is that we can use our boats most of the year. I'd be lost without the projects I save for the winter months. But as much as I hate winter, the older I get, the faster it passes by.

Eddy G.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Chiles
I must have been living under a rock most of my life..........I have been around boats for 30 years now and I have never seen a boat with Rotary engines.

Tell me about them.......sounds interesting

A buddy of mine had a rotary engine in a drag car.........weekend bracket racing........he named the car Rotary Fever.

Just curious...........

Harry
hb
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

there was a rotary powered 20 Bertram that toured the country in the 60's, it was called the "rotary special", Popluar Mechanics had something to do with it.

I know the person who owns it and the whereabouts of it today- right here on long island and can be seen once in a while on Lake George.
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

Harry,
You can follow the link below to the page I put together when I overhauled her. Twin supercharged rotary engines that put out 210BHP each on standard octane fuel. I could have gone up to 240, but that would have required octane boosters and did not want to deal with that. It was a LONG process of getting everything together, but she turned out well. I have plans to put her up for sale so I can move on to something bigger / newer and hopefully diesel. I know that in this market I'm going to lose a lot of what I put into her.

There is another Bertram 20 that was repowered with a carburated version of my engine. They use standard Alpha drives and Merc controls. From the outside, it looks like any normal I/O. You would never know what I had under the cowling until the superchargers start making their music at about 3K RPM. I have gone out and trolled all day on 30 gallons of fuel.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Harry,
You should see this boat in person. Very Very impressive job. Chiles is anal to the twenty-second power and there are redundancies built in everywhere. Who ever buys this will get a lot of boat for the $$$$$. She's a beautiful fly-bridge cruiser built for the Chesapeake fishing and cruising. Mechanically mostly new.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

Mikey,
You are too kind. What's the latest on Dreamcicle???

-Chiles

(Timmy started it)
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

not to put salt over the wound but after one month of rain down here, finally I got out on Sunday afternoon..........this is Christmas time in PR babyyyyyyy!

Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Hueso, your mean. Im frozen. Spent morning helping get stranded boat off beach.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Hueso,
I agree with Brewster. MEAN! I'm sitting here looking at ice on the creek, planning our annual foray to your neighbor, Tortola, and freezing my butt off.
Freeze, Froze, Frozen.
Send more pictures, we need the relief.
Think I'll go to the club and sit in the steam until spring.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
randall

Post by randall »

i like a little ice...go out in the kayak and make believe in an eskimo....a little frozen today...high 40s tomorrow....perfect
capy

Post by capy »

Hueso,

Don't mean to rub it in.......but with all respect, you can't do stuff like this if it's warm all the time....

I'd get bored running the boat all the time after about 5 months of boating I'm ready for something else.........to each his own

http://home.comcast.net/~cpgozew/wsb/ht ... 82782.html

http://home.comcast.net/~cpgozew/wsb/ht ... 82783.html

http://home.comcast.net/~cpgozew/wsb/ht ... 82784.html