Block heater revisited

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Block heater revisited

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Just glued the 250 watt Wolverine to the sheet magnet material and it stuck real good......Slapped it on a vertical frig door and there is no way it will fall off......put it on a big iron vise and plugged it up, the back of the pad gets to about 325 degrees but the heat transfer to the vise thru the magnet is very good. Some cold weather coming this weekend, will give it a try....its been in the mid 80s for a week.

UV
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

That's great UV.

We just got 8 inches of snow.
Regards,

Doug L.
Dug

Post by Dug »

12" plus here in Central MA.

D
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

With more to come Sat/Sun!

I gotta move.
Regards,

Doug L.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

try snowmobiling doug you can travel in area not seen by tourest.the park people figure the land is not disturbed like it would be in summer with 4-wheelers or dirtbikes and quads so they let you go anywhere you want don`t forget upstate N.Y. park is larger than yellowstone and more remote.you could drive 75miles from old forge into canada.area is beyond your wildest dream.i love the winter sports a go change up from the boat world only 21/2 months .
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Bob,
Both the wife and I miss winter sports.
Ice hockey was a staple growing up.

But then I realized I didn't have to be cold anymore and moved to Florida.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bruce i am not advocating a steady diet of -20degrees but snowmobiling at 120mph across a lake or 65thru the woods at -30degrees is alot better than sitting in traffic at 110 degrees in the shade.the leather jacket and bibs make it toasty and if not there are the frequent stops at the local bars along the way.i go to vandenburg mountain the site of the winter olympics near lake placid i think it was1984.they have the bobsled run availible to the public as well as snowboarding and some good brandy tasting in front of the roaring fireplace.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Amen to that, Bob. You can always put on more clothes.

Think I'll go make a fire......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory of Vicroy

Was 83 yesterday afternoon until a cold front blew thru, was 37 this morning.

The pad/sheet magnet gizmo on the side of the block gets too hot on the back (exposed side) of the pad....heat gun shows over 500 degrees. That seems way to hot, worries me some fuel could spill on it, etc.

Northern Tool has some 200 watt heaters with magnets that have theromostats in them, for about $26....may try a pair of those.

UV
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Vic......I did not realize that the block heaters got that hot. I'm in agreement thats way to hot. Do you think that its not making enough contact with the block therefore not able to transfer enough heat into the engine and overheating the blockheater itself?????

I'm wearing my fur lined jockey underware tomorrow the Mobile Bay area is forcast to be 28 degrees by morning. These FRIGID tempretures will drive me into hibernation.

I cashed in on the cold weather and blowing wind today..........I dressed up in my Tyvek mummy suit, head gear, kitchen gloves, respirator and safety glasses and ground fiberglass for about 3 hours today. Yukkkkk.....but another step closer to the end

Harry
hb
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

UV,

I should be getting my 250w Wovlerine heaters from Tony this week. I was reading on your early post where you shot them @ 500 degrees? The 250w heaters is what Tony recommends for the 6bta's. Did they come with those magnet backing or did you modified them to be removable during summer months?

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
In Memory of Vicroy

Doug - I got my 250 watt Wolverines from Tony too. They come in stick on because (now I know) the oil pans on the 6BTAs are aluminum. I put the sheet magnet on one and stuck it to the block just above the oil pan on a vertical surface. It got to over 500 degrees on the back, probably because the heat transfer thru the magnet was too little and the vertical probably contributed as well. I'm sure they would work fine if glued on the bottom of the oil pan, but on AJ that's a tough proposition. For now I'm planning to just hang some 100 watt drop lights around and forget about the block heaters.....just got thru washing the Bride's car in shorts & sandals, its 82 here right now, so low on my list....Thanks Algore.

Are you in Venice yet?

UV
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

After the last weekend before this last freeze, I thought I going to get some heaters for just in case. Going to try again this weekend to head over to Venice, weather has not been to great for the trip over or fishing for that matter, but will be there shortly.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!