6BTA idle trolling speeds

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Hay3006

6BTA idle trolling speeds

Post by Hay3006 »

Cummins Guys: Thanks for all the tips and sharing of data from your installations with the 6BT/A engines through the past years, I have gained a lot of useful stuff while reading the archives. Let me ask a bit about trolling speeds to those of you with 250, 270, 300, 330, or 370 HP versions which basically swing the same diameter wheel with small changes in pitch out of 1.5/1 gears. How slowly are you able to idle while trolling with both engines in gear? I have noticed that these engines do not seem to smoothly idle at 650 RPM. Would swinging a 3 blade prop vs. a 4 blade make much difference while trying to slow troll with both engines in gear? It would be great to be able to troll at 5 knots but can it be done with these engines? This might be the one and only reason the QSBs might have a small advantage over the tried, true, and proven 6BTA mechanical engines. Thanks for your input. Jeff
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

On one wheel I go about 4.5 kts GPS but it can bounce between 4 and 5 depending upon wind and tide. No problem steering with the big rudders. I think I am about 6.5 with both in gear, but I am not exactly sure because for stripers I never go on two. Offshore I troll on two but I pay more attention to the wake and the lures than the GPS.

If I drag two five gallon pails, which I do when I pull bunker spoons in the spring, I can get down to about 3.5 on one wheel. It really isn't that much of a pain in the neck, but I have had some pretty funny comments on the VHF when friends pass me dragging the white pails.

This fall I haven't broken out the buckets yet, but If I go over readings on the fishfinder I sometimes bump in and out of gear to slow down a little. In the fall 4.5 seems to work with shad umbrellas, tubes or Stretch 25s. Plus we mostly jig in the fall anyway and only troll when nothing else works. I have 270s. I have thought about getting trolling valves but the buckets are a lot cheaper and so far I have managed plenty of stripers.

Next time I go out I will take a closer look at the speeds at different RPMS and one or two in gear.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Swinging 3 blades we are about 3.5 with one in gear. 2 in gear its close to 6. Swinging 3 blade 20 x 26 #5 cup.
The 4 blade boats are faster at idle. We have trolling valves but have not needed to use them for bass fishing.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Hay3006

Post by Hay3006 »

John and JP: Thanks for the replies, useful info.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have the 210's with 20X20 cupped Nibrals. For slow inshore trolling I only keep one engine in gear and do my most productive trolling against the tide. My trolling speed is well below 5 kts. More like 2.7 to 4 max. The problem with the higher HP engines is that when you're properly propped, your low end is fairly fast unless you either have trolling gears, run on one engine, or pop her in and out of gear. I'm in a "Tucked in" slip and find that neutral is my most important gear when getting in and out with just quick pops in and out of foward and reverse. Walter
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

250s, 1.5 gears, 21x22 three blades, no cup. 5.5 on two, 4 on one. We sometimes tarpon fish real slow and bump in and out of gear. I have the big Capt. Patrick rudders so steering on one is a snap.

UV