The Jump / Venice

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt. DQ

The Jump / Venice

Post by Capt. DQ »

UV,

Let me make a suggestion for you to consider, we all know how you love the TSL and hold the UVI down in Panama, since Katrina trashed Port Eads, and all invitations are only given by you, but for some of the faithful that might be asked and/or grovel for a invite...but cannot afford to go there...but could afford to go to a UVI/Corrision X Tourney/Faux Pax @ Venice Marina later in the Summer? Just a thought.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

Sounds great "DRIFTER" will hit the water early summer with new engines and total re-fit. Hell life is short lets get together and fish !!!!!
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

UV sures knows how to put together a get together! The companionship with the 31 crew, and not to mention the fantastic grub, were definitely worth cruising 401 nm across the gulf to attend.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

We ought to be able to put something together maybe in late July.

UV
In Memory of Vicroy

DQ - on reflection, what you got in mind? We are going to Panama in mid-June. Venice Marina can handle us, got plenty of FEMA trailers to stay in for 150 a nite for 6 guys a trailer, 4 works better, maybe 3 a trailer is comfy. Can get dock space if we work around some of the tourneys, I can probably line up the food. Figure we can count on AJ, maybe Andre' on RR, a couple of other boats to fish maybe 25 guys unless we get other boats......I'm interested, ole AJ is getting sorta antsy sitting at her dock on the Tickfaw, wants some blue water under her keel. Upside we can drive to Venice Marina, downside it ain't PE, but doubt PE will ever be back.

Who would be willing to bring a boat, say in mid to late July for a few days?

UV
clay

Post by clay »

I will try and make it - it may not be with a B31 but I can bring something to fish from (May Be a Crew Boat). Here are a couple of shots of the New South West Pass Light House. The first shot shows to old platforms that will be removed after T Day the new light is an un-manned light and a high-tech Homeland Security Station.

In Memory of Vicroy

Looks like the first good blow will trash that new sucker....

UV
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

UV,

I was just thinking about another UVI get together that was a little closer to home, that we could bring in some Bertram 31 Faithful from either side of the River that might not be able to get to Panama and just have us a good ol' time of Fishing, Drinking, & Bullshitin, Cooking & Eaten.

What-cha-think? Gathering of Eagles again!

Yes, the Short Circuit will be there too. As a matter of fact, I'm taking the Short Circuit to Venice @ the end of December and keepin it @ Venice Marina till March, going to take it over for the winter. With the Cummins 250's up an running now, the boat feels so much better running compared to the Gas engines, its like a totally new rig.

I'll post some pictures for ya to look @ the changes from the first UVI when P.E. was still going on, compared to today's new refit look, you'll be suprised, it's my new B31 Centerfold.

Probaly get Jeremy & Mac ( Jaded Ladey), Kenny McCoy ( Reel McCoy)and some others from P'cola to come over also.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
In Memory of Vicroy

Sounds good to me. Yeah, the diesels make it a whole new ball game. The Lump outta turn on about the first of the year and you can get all the cat food you want.... UV don't wind no tuna fish no mo'.

I'll look at a calendar bye & bye....you guys got any preference on dates?

UV
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Well, if the end of July, or August sometime during the month which ever suits everybody I guess. Probaly put up a straw poll and see I guess? Venice Marina even has a Bar & Resturant now with large deck up top too.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Count me in, altho I'd rather have it in late May. I get nervous that late in the season...............plus blue water is usually closer.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
kipp

Post by kipp »

"Targeted Species" is in. We have a few extra places to sleep at our camp in Venice. Late June and July was the hot Marlin bite last summer. GI Tarpon Rodeo is the last weekend in July. We'll fish whenever, but 2nd or 3rd July or 1st Aug. weekend would be good.
Kipp and Richard
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

DQ,
If there's room on the Short Circuit I'd love to attend. Being North of I-10 I promise to behave and only drink what's in front of me.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Hal

Post by Hal »

Andre, you're reading my mind. If UV were ever to consider changing this to a democracy, then my vote would be for late May. There aren't any big money tourneys in the way and the weather is usually good and comfy. Venice Marina is great and it shouldn't be any big deal to reserve accommodations this far in advance.

I'd be happy to bring Southern Breeze and suspect that Bodacious might make an appearance on behalf of the Pensacola contingent.

I'll bring the cigars if Dr. Matt brings some ancient Port and cheese!
I like crawfish and beer!
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

JP,
Your already on the crew, you must have forgot about us talking about you being relief Captain over that last Cruzan & Coke.

I don't care what month everybody wants, its just time for another gathering. UV, you the Chairman.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

UV,

As you may be retired then AND have a new set of ground rules in play, I suggest that you let the attendees help towards libation and food costs. We all know who the winner will be BUT all of us can help contribute to overhead.

Terry
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
In Memory of Vicroy

Well, thanks guys for the confidence in my leadership......May is too early, water is too cold, we need to follow Kipp's advice and do it in July or early Aug....Andre' you nervous about everything, remember? If a hurricane is coming, we do something else, all haul ass somewhere.

I think it's gonna be a hoot. Terry, we got room for you and Lucky Dumb Shit too.

UV
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

UV, please enlighten me, but who would Lucky Dumb Shit be to get that nickname?

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
In Memory of Vicroy

Doug, he's Terry's son Chris, a young buck he brought to Panama last year - UVI 6 -....nice big kid, in college, struggling to find his place in life. Anyway, I like him, get him on my boat at TSL one day, we fishing circle hooks.....you know, let them swallow the live bait, then reel up slow and set the circle hook in the corner of the mouth.. well a big sailfish comes up and it's Chris's turn....he does the Bill Dance Lip Rip on the fish....I holler at him (after all, it's the UVI so I can holler) "You dumb shit, it's a circle hook, you gotta let him eat it" He pulled the bait right out of the fish's mouth......after I hollered at him, told him to drop it back, maybe the fish was not spooked...sure enough, the dumb sail came back and ate it.....hooked up....I nick-named Chris Lucky Dumb Shit and it stuck.

Lotta fun, good guy, took it like a man. Hope to see him at the UVI in Venice this summer. We need guys like him.

UV
Chris Frank L.D.S.

Post by Chris Frank L.D.S. »

Uncle Vic,
Count Dad and I in, maybe we'll bring the Limited Edition. Venice sounds like a good time. We would love it. I'll bring the clears and the umbrellas for the boat drinks. I'm out of college, gainfully employed and hope to be back in Panama sometime soon. Hope all is well.

"Lucky Dumb Shit"
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

I can state with reasonable confidence that, assuming the dates line up, at least one former UVI winning vessel out of Texas would plan to both participate at such an event and win.

Tom would potentially make an appearance as well, and he might be convinced to bring his new ride.
In Memory of Vicroy

Well, all that is good to hear....now about the UVI "winning" vessel out of Texas, that's a stretch, altho your Hyena Boat did vie for second one time. LDS, you and your Pop are sure welcome to come, we will find a good boat for ya'll.

With this show of support for a Venice UVI, I'll put the wheels in motion to see if it can be done. Probably be late July or early August, and yes Andre' we have hurricanes now and then that time of year, but the water is too cold to catch anything in May, just forget it. If we get a strom, we'll just do it a week or 2 later. After all, we are the few, the Proud, the B31s, the Faithful, and we have done it bofore, we will do it again.....how about 10 or 15 boats at the Venice Marina, a cook, our own bar tender, land based FEMA trailers with real a/c and hot showers to sleep in, no crabs (maybe) in your bunks....sure its an extra hour each way to the blue warter, but PE remains destroyed......

I pledge to make it happen.

UV
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

I would love to bring The Sarita if she is willing and able. If not will crew and make the run with any boats from Texas. I will bring the steaks for all plus all the Pearl and Lone Star.
Rob C
"sometimes you go 8 sometimes you hit dirt"

Rob C
Capt. Mike Holmes

P & LS?

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Do they still MAKE Pearl & Lone Star???
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

As they say "any other beer is an import" :-)

Rob C
In Memory of Vicroy

Rob......yep, we shall make it happen, and you bring the good beer. Let's see, who plays the git-tar? and who can sing? Other musical instruments? Last UVI we had down that way we relied on Hollis from Mobile to entertain us on Miss Vikki's porch with his red neck tunes...maybe we can get him to come...what was the song we were gonna syndicate? was it "I'm more redneck than you"? Capy had bought in to the syndicate big time...Timmy tried to buy him out, Cranston got in...Mike O. was on it...Ric missed that one....Randall was wading down the dock with an alligator twice his size chasing him...Tiger cut the power line with his prop....damn, time flies, seems like yesterday.

Let's do it again.

UV
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

UV,
Cranston wants in on this one too! Got a new 18,000 lbs triple axle trailer made for a b 31 and a truck that can pull in that's available. Reel Cowboy is getting the engines installed at the present time, and back to Salvador for the Alwgrip and rub rail. Then there's the tower or half tower, and also the enclosure to get done. Got alot of rigging and whatever else needs doing and can't even speculate when she'll be done. I figure about twice as long to do from what they tell you. I'm thinking that she'll be done and looking quite a bit differnt than last time ya'll saw her. UV, I'd like to rent a FEMA trailer in Benice cause I want to be there regardless. Rob, call me if you're interested in getting a permit and dragging your rig down to Venice 713-906-0842. Damn, UV, I'm I invited? I figur that the worst case senario would be to hit New Orleans on the way down for a little French Quarter action and then heading to Benice and chartering a bay boat for a few days. I think that my wife would be up for that one.
capy

!!!

Post by capy »

Vicroy wrote:Rob......yep, we shall make it happen, and you bring the good beer. Let's see, who plays the git-tar? and who can sing? Other musical instruments? Last UVI we had down that way we relied on Hollis from Mobile to entertain us on Miss Vikki's porch with his red neck tunes...maybe we can get him to come...what was the song we were gonna syndicate? was it "I'm more redneck than you"? Capy had bought in to the syndicate big time...Timmy tried to buy him out, Cranston got in...Mike O. was on it...Ric missed that one....Randall was wading down the dock with an alligator twice his size chasing him...Tiger cut the power line with his prop....damn, time flies, seems like yesterday.

Let's do it again.

UV
UV,

It was "Redneck Romance" and I'm convinced it would be a hit!!!

That was the 3rd UVII, and my first........

We yankees could truck in some lobster if it happens again... in Venice!!!!
Tom

Yes

Post by Tom »

Now we're talking UV. I miss that oil pit fiercely. With new power, Team Hyena will be tough to pick against.
Viva la Presidente!
Garry

Post by Garry »

But, will the Team Hyena expertise be split between 2 boats? Venice Marina may need to add slips to accomodate all the interested boats.
In Memory of Vicroy

You right, High Pockets, could be a crowd. Tell Andy he's invited with his new 37 Topaz. And of course you are invited.

Speaking of UVI, a couple of people inquired if UVI 8 is full....talked to TSL and the lodge is basically booked solid for a year....I smell prices going up. There are 6 of us going in June, deposit paid up, but no more room at the inn.....

Capy - lobsters might work, cooked coonass style....yeah "Redneck Romance" it was....we left money on the table with that one.

Guess the next step is to talk to Venice Marina, pick a date in late July (avoid the Grand Isle Rodeo weekend) or early August and let's just do it. Andre' will worry wart the weather for us. Sounds like a dozen or so boats at least. What ya'll say, a 3 day tourney or you want to do the week? Don't matter to me, I got time on my hands.

Remember, the rules committee rules....ya'll gimme a show of hands and opinions on dates, etc.

UV
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

John,
I have a capt friend that will make the run over with us if you want. We will split ALL costs. We might have to ship the beer though? tooooooo heavy. My 28ft tower makes it hard to trailer the Sarita. And her 454s make the 400nm run out of the question. On the other hand I could just make a month of it and slow bump my way over......... might not be so bad. Lets make this happen!! Sounds like there is great interest.

Rob C
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Very charitable Mr. J, but the reality is more like, the talented ringer may bring his own boat, leaving only the mouth of Team Hyena.

But, the good news is, as you will fondly recall, the Hyena has rather generous headroom in the cabin and an expansive bridge to accomidate taller anglers and capt's.

In for a penny, in for a pound. Make it week, and green canyon fish caught on the way to or from count.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Rob,
Didn't know that you owned the Raven till last night. Would have come by a long time ago. You gonna be there Sun afternoon? If so. we'll stop by on the way home from Freeport and talk things over.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

1. Ditto Ernest's suggestion for the week.
2. Earlier the better. (Watch the cat-food tournaments)
3. I'll call the boys in Colorado for a hurricane forecast for then.
4. Plans made sooner are better.
5. Many people from the frozen Nawth must attend.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
In Memory of Vicroy

High Pockets - responded to your PM and it bounced back...maybe the board has your old email address....send me a quick note at VLR@RKKDLAW.COM and I'll send the response direct.

UV
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

John,
Hope to be in Galveston this weekend, weather permitting. You still have my cell, 713-582-4563. I am around Picnic most of the time, my other business.

Rob C