Small World

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Terry Frank

Small World

Post by Terry Frank »

Today I was on a flight from Charlotte to New Bern. An older gentleman, maybe even older than Randall (happy b day BTW), took the seat next to me. He and some friends are in the process of taking a 40 something sail boat to Marsh Harbour. We started talking boats and it turns out that this guy owns a 1975 31 Bertram. It's a Sportfish with gassers. His name is Sam and the boat is named Shooter. It's docked somewhere in Rhode Island. Supposedly he's going to sell it in the spring.
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

real small world ,i was on that boat at oakdale yacth long island ny.the boat is completely stock even oem.bench seat.white with a red bootstripe i don`t know how it ended up in ri?
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

All the smart ones sell them................................
Buju

Post by Buju »

....and they (the "smart ones") buy a blowboat...
then they ask Bruce for for ballpark figures for repowering in the next 1 to 16 months...

Timmy, hows the superslick, triple-custom-Tubb coming along?
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Id like to hear a Ballpark date for when the TUBBBB will be ready.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Terry,

I think Sam runs a financial services and planning company in Providence. Insurance as well. He came to Newport. His last name is Sylvester I think. He is a great guy. I have really enjoyed talking with him in the past.

He has claimed he would sell for about 4 years now. I hope he doesn't!

It is a small world when it comes to our boats.

Two brief stories...

I met a young lady through the rowing world. She is on the U.S. National team, and training for the olympics right now. She rows in the womens 8, who won the world championships this past summer in Germany, and set a new course record at the Head of the Charles in Boston this past October. When she saw my boat, she said "Oh! It is a Bertram!" Her dad purchased Retriever, a 31 out of Jamestown, RI and keeps it at his dock in Maine. Wow, too small a world.

Then last weekend I was approached by a gentleman in Noank. He and his wife were looking at my Touareg. Turns out he owned a 31 for 20 years and kept it on Fishers Island. It is called Venture III, and is now owned by another fellow I met recently at a good friends wedding named JR who is also from Fishers. As a matter of fact, at the table at the wedding were 3 owners of B31's!!!!! JR, Me and Penn Sanger. Too fun, too cool. Particularly since Penn's mom owns Opus 1, another 31!!!!! Of all the people to meet randomly at the shipyard, it happened to be one of the guys who owned one of the 5 boats on the island. But really random.

So yes, small world for sure! Liz says we attract it...
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I saw Shooter on Yacht World. Here it is:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... ck&rid=100