To shrink wrap or not?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

joeh

To shrink wrap or not?

Post by joeh »

I live in annapolis and want to keep the boat in the water and be able to use her as a mobile office...(2 kids under 2). I have 2 coats of the Awlcare polymer on her and am considering not shrink wrapping the boat.

The boat is at my pier and I can keep her cleaned off. Everything else will get winterized.

Thoughts?

Will it ever snow again in MD anyway?

Thanks,

Joe
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Will it ever snow again in MD anyway?
Thanks for the JINX...

Go for it. I left my boat in most of last winter and had no issue. Some old timers I know just put a 100w lightbulb in the engine room and didn't bother winterizing the motors, just winterize the fresh/raw water systems.

The past couple of years we've had some nice weather in January, neet to take a ride when everyone else is on the hard for the winter.

br,
John
randall

Post by randall »

food for thought Image
Mack

Post by Mack »

Joe-
I see your boat often as I cross over the Ridgely Ave bridge (I think that is your boat). Did they ever sell the sedan B31 that was docked right near you?

I would say as long as you are right there an keep an eye on it, you will be fine. If your boat is painted, you will need to build a wooden frame if you plan to wrap it.

Prior to purchsing my B31 four years ago, I left my former boat in the water over the winter twice- each time we had a tough winter. Though my marina is across the street from my house, I was on the west coast for a few days with my wife one February when it snowed over 3 feet! My boat made it though o.k., but at least one or two boats in the marina sank due to the weight of the snow. There was so much snow on the ground that the owners couldn't get to the marina for a few days.

I now haul out and wrap from Dec to April. Cost a few bucks, but great piece of mind.

If you do stay in the water, make sure you get an ice bubbler for the times when it dips into the 20's for any extended time. Though we have had some mild winters recently, it can get brutal.

Good luck.
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I have a imron painted boat which I shrink wrap every year---the bridge was painted about 15 years ago---I am getting ready to have it redone this winter.

I don't think snow is the biggest concern as I am located in long island and we really don't get a lot. I think just being in the elements, sun,rain, bird droppings that are not cleaned off ,...... take its toll on the finish.

By shrink wrappping I think you are just doubling the life of the paint.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Randall that is the worst pic of a 31. I think Im going to be ill. I like Husos pics better
randall

Post by randall »

relax....its a 25...mine....its right in front of my shop....no shrink wrap for me......the morning that shot was taken my boat was the only thing in the town without snow on it.....to steep to hold snow.....
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If you do shrink wrap it, don't let them tape to the hull! Walter
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I think Awlgrip can bubble if the wrap is tight up against it. Moisture can get trapped under it. Capt Pat can advise if this is a real concern or not.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
joeh

Post by joeh »

Thanks All!

I shrink wrapped it in the water last year and am aware of the awlgrip issues. I think I will just get everything waxed elc and keep an eye on her.

I also like to keep the boat in the water as long as possible. Mack, I will put you down for a ride in Jan!

As I side note...I had block heaters installed which make a huge difference in cold weather starting and they help with engine condensation.

Thanks for the advice.

Joe
gplume

Post by gplume »

[img][img]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee11 ... resize.jpg[/img]

I recomend shrink wrap. I battled with tarps for 2 years before i saw the light. I had a slight issue with minor bubbling in one very small spot on my awl grip. Not noticable, but to avoid, either only wrap tot he gunnel or vent the heck out of it. The thing about shrink wrap is you can get your work space nice and dry. I did not get 1 drop of water in last year. I recomend DrShrink out of Michigan. You can get material and equipment right to your door. Easy to do your self...just watch the video from DrShrink[/img]
Giff
Dug

Post by Dug »

When my marina (Noank Shipyard) shrink wraps a painted boat, they offset the shrink wrap edge with sections of foam so that the wrap does not touch the hull. It is about 2-4 inches thick, spaced ever couple of feet, depending on the curve of the hull. That usually enables the only contact to be those offsets and the rub rail.

Dug