Max Wax Revisited

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Woods

Max Wax Revisited

Post by Harry Woods »

Last spring UV brought Max Wax to the attention of the faithful. Further, that it potentially contained properties to retard marine growth on running gear. He shipped me several cans and I applied it per his instructions. I put the boat on the hill this week and am pleased to report that growth on the wheels and shafts was reduced by approximately 75% from last year. Hats-off to UV for another great find. Let's here feedback from other users who tried this product.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Harry or UV, would you mind giving a re-cap of the application process and the cost?

I'm considering using prop-speed on my running gear for next season, though there's no room for error in its application.

Thanks,
John
randall

Post by randall »

im pullin the boat on monday so i will give a full report....i hit all the running gear with max wax......all i can really see are the tops of the tabs....but they are bare metal and as clean as ive ever seen them....some slime but no barnacles
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

John,
Application process for Max Wax is spray on clean shafts and wheels twelve hours prior to launch. Cost is ten or twelve dollars per can and you could probably do three applications per can. Also, works great on transducers.
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

Isnt that max wax like like cosmolene or linebacker?
CMP

Post by CMP »

I used it as well and while the growth was moderately retarded, what was there came off very easily both in-season and upon haul-out. I may not have applied it properly, so if those of you who found it worked really well can tell me how you applied it, I may get better results. That said, even if I don't get better results by applying it differently, I'd use it again. Far better than painting...

CMP
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Sounds good, real good. The prop-speed stuff will cost around $300 and if not applied as instructed (temp and timing) isn't any good.

Ok UV, how about an update on pricing?

br,
JohnD
joeh

Post by joeh »

I used prop speed (put on by worton creek) and have had great success. I haven't pulled the boat yet but speed and performance are the same. I am a fan now.
Mack

Post by Mack »

joeh-
I was considering adding a propspeed application to the list of work when I haul at Worton Cr next month. Alternatively, I was thinking I might apply it myself since I tend to rack my bill up with John P. pretty quickly.

May I ask how much he charged you to do it?

I did a short haul back in August to do some quick work to my swim platform and saw several boats with propspeed that had just been hauled. Amazing stuff, although as previously noted, you must follow strict rules with the application.

Thanks
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
randall

Post by randall »

i cleaned with acid....rinsed, let dry and had at it.....gave it two coats very liberally applied
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Well, the Max Wax gets some mixed reviews so far on the running gear....remember, it was formulated for above-the-water HD metal protection, like cast iron flange bearings, shaft couplers and the like. The buzz that it worked on underwater stuff came thru CX's New Zealand customer, the Port of Auckland, that used it on some real big ferry boat props.

I've gotten one PM that it did not work real well on running gear, and see a few of ya'll have gotten good results. On the other hand, it is cheap....I can price it at about $11 a can and am doing about a $50 minimun order, so combine with other CX stuff is OK.

UV
randall

Post by randall »

hi yo silver...........stocking up UV?
J Graham

Post by J Graham »

How can I order a couple of cans?