Fishing boat accident near Verrazano Bridge...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

Fishing boat accident near Verrazano Bridge...

Post by IRGuy »

A fishing boat got caught between a tug and a barge and was sunk.. 2 men rescued, two drowned.

http://wcbstv.com/local/boat.crash.verr ... 10255.html
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

I hate to sound crass, and it's probably not good form to comment without more facts, but from my years on the water, inshore & offshore, it appears to me that whoever was at the helm might be nominated for the Darwin Award...

My guess is that the "captain" knew nothing about light configurations on a commercial work boat. A a tug with long tow displays 3 white lights in a line at the masthead of the tug and the single yellow light on her stern, just
above the white stern light. A short tow is two white lights in a line at the masthead of the tug. The towed barge would have had only standard side lights & a stern light. No masthead light.

Get between a tug & it's tow & you're in for a potential disaster. One that'll put you on the short end of the stick.

Too bad a couple of guys died, and probably neither of them were the one on the helm, but if you're going to run after dark, you better know your lights...
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

EXACTLY! I have heard of several such accidents.. go between a tug and tow, get caught on the tow line and slide back down to the barge, and the rest will be in tomorrow's newspaper!
randall

Post by randall »

think it happened earlier in the summer round the corner from there in hell's gate..........
Harv

Post by Harv »

witnesses on a Sheepshead Bay party boat said they heard the tug captain on the radio warning the captain of the private vessel to stand off as he was towing a barge. Whether the captain of the struck vessel had no radio on or he didn't pay attention is a different matter.
Harv
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I hate to say it.. and I don't want it.. but something like this makes me wonder if we should be required to take a meaningful boating course periodically, and have to be licensed. Anybody can get in a boat, turn the key, aim it somewhere.. and whee.. we are boating! A danger to themselves.. and more importantly, a danger to you and me.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Running the channels around here you always need to be paying attention, obviously they where not.

I have to admit I am not completely "up" on the running light configurations of commercial vessels.

In my defence
- I go with the assumption that every Tug is pulling a barge, every barge is being pulled by a tug.
- I do not care who has the right of way. In my book and on my boat the bigger guy always has the right of way and will be given plenty of room. That is not to say I won't give way to smaller guys or try to navigate according to the rules.
- Ferries and tugs don't always stay in the designated channels, so give them a wide berth and never turn your back on them.

I took a boating course with my wife, we had encounted some bad weather and she freaked out...sheer panic. It got me thinking she needs to learn some boating skills so if I was to go over the side or croaked she would have some knowledge of what to do. Anyway, a boating course is a good foundation to grow on and yes I do believe everyone should take it, but it still don't teach common sence or common courtesy.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

This happened to Francis Ford Coppola's son and friend near Annapolis years ago.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

And when the masthead and deck light suddenly disappear you had better be making way in the opposite direction FAST!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

I keep hearing in the News that the cause is under investigation!!!
Like it was said by Capt Pat the Guy had no clue what the lights on the Tug were for. Save out tax dollars with the investigation we all know the reason.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

The newspaper today had witness accounts of the tug captain repeatedly calling on the radio then sounding his horn and finally illuminating the tow cable. All attempts to alert the pleasure boat captain failed and the boat was capsized after striking the cable.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
ed c.

Accident

Post by ed c. »

To IR Guy, here in New Jersey, everyone has now got to pass a boating Saftey course. They give you 50 questions. If you feel that you can do the test without schooling you get 1 shot at the test. The course i believe cost around $80. More than a few years ago off of Sea Isle City the same thing hasppened to a group that had been partying all night. Four people were killed and the 1 guy that i knew never went anywhere without a beer in his hand. There is a tugboat alley about 5 or 6 miles East of South Jersey and it is very active.
Mack

Post by Mack »

Though it helps to know light configuations, etc., the bottom line is to always assume that a tug could be towing an unlit barge. I have seen many instances at night around here (Chesapeake Bay) and off the coast of NJ where barges and other vessels either did not have proper light confirguration or no lights at all.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

All the comments about knowing light configurations, rules of the road, prudent seamanship, etc. go out the window if you will drink while operating a vessel. It was late in the evening.. possibly/likely alcohol was involved.. possibly the skipper did not have, did not know how to use, or did not pay attention to his radio. Likely he also did not pay attention to his course and the other vessels in his area.

We all have seen things like this.. I have heard the 5 warning blasts from a large ship several times.. it sends chills up and down my back when I look for the vessel that is being warned.. usually some jerk who thinks he owns the ocean, or is ignorant of the dangers of his situation.

Common sense and a basic knowledge will keep you out of almost all dangerous situations.. and, if you are not sure what to do.. stay the hell out of the way.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Amen Mack.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

We have a fair amount of tugs with barges pass here and at night they are no joke! They move way faster than you think. I stay away and always assume they have a tow
Carl

Post by Carl »

It shouldn't be much of an investigation. We have a Coast Guard station right at the entrance of the Harbour and every vessel is monitored.